Upland Trip?

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I quail hunted with my dad and his friend (owned the dogs) until I was around 10, then the quail population went away. I did some put and take shoots, and eventually other animals took precedence. I'm an avid waterfowl hunter now, but picked up a few GSPs over the last 2 years. I hunted Maine for grouse last year, and put and take quail (mainly for training purposes or to bring friends along).

I want to take a few wild bird hunts this year. I live in Western North Carolina, and own a duck hunting lodge in Arkansas that I can leave from as well.

Looking at New Mexico (longest drive, seems like a great trip), Oklahoma (not too far of a drive from my lodge), Kansas, Maine again, looked at West Texas but limited public land is pushing me away from there, considering North Dakota for an early trip (have hunted there for ducks numerous times). I know Nebraska and Kansas is a big draw, but don't know too much about them and haven't researched it.

I'll be driving, main goal is as much bird contact as possible for the two younger dogs (1.5 and 4 months currently), my other dog is 6, species isn't as big of a concern, grouse, quail, pheasant, etc is all fine with me. Any recommendations, or options I should consider that I didn't list?

KurtR

WKR
I quail hunted with my dad and his friend (owned the dogs) until I was around 10, then the quail population went away. I did some put and take shoots, and eventually other animals took precedence. I'm an avid waterfowl hunter now, but picked up a few GSPs over the last 2 years. I hunted Maine for grouse last year, and put and take quail (mainly for training purposes or to bring friends along).

I want to take a few wild bird hunts this year. I live in Western North Carolina, and own a duck hunting lodge in Arkansas that I can leave from as well.

Looking at New Mexico (longest drive, seems like a great trip), Oklahoma (not too far of a drive from my lodge), Kansas, Maine again, looked at West Texas but limited public land is pushing me away from there, considering North Dakota for an early trip (have hunted there for ducks numerous times). I know Nebraska and Kansas is a big draw, but don't know too much about them and haven't researched it.

I'll be driving, main goal is as much bird contact as possible for the two younger dogs (1.5 and 4 months currently), my other dog is 6, species isn't as big of a concern, grouse, quail, pheasant, etc is all fine with me. Any recommendations, or options I should consider that I didn't list?
This year has been the best year i have seen in the last 10 for pheasant hatch in South dakota. With the easy winter last year im thinking this year is going to be good. Its a dry year so might not be a huge amount of crops around if they dont grow. Best year ever was a drought year and hunting knee high corn. Start at noon and have 20 person limit by 2. I would go hunt tree belts on public land when i was by my self and kill lots of birds.