Upper Michigan Whitetail

Hunting here in Upper Michigan can be alot like getting a root canal. We get about 200" of snow, so there's not a heck of a lot of deer. This season I was fortunate to see quite a few bucks, but I couldn't quite get it done with my recurve. Opening day of rifle season, I finally got one. Made a hell of a shot, and I got it all on film check it out!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations, my first deer was killed in 2002 outside of watersmeet, haven't hunted the u.p. since 2004. I'm still looking for my first buck of the year I can get a shot on. Seen 3 on the gun opener, 2 running for their lives and one wide 6 point being dragged out by another hunter. Did double up out does in about 10 seconds though.

OP
C
Congratulations, my first deer was killed in 2002 outside of watersmeet, haven't hunted the u.p. since 2004. I'm still looking for my first buck of the year I can get a shot on. Seen 3 on the gun opener, 2 running for their lives and one wide 6 point being dragged out by another hunter. Did double up out does in about 10 seconds though.
Right on, we used to fish around there. Never hunted that area, but it looks tough. I would imagine there aren't a ton of deer, but some pretty old ones. Congrats on the does. Are you in the lower?

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
Right on, we used to fish around there. Never hunted that area, but it looks tough. I would imagine there aren't a ton of deer, but some pretty old ones. Congrats on the does. Are you in the lower?
Thanks, yeah zone 3, live in Genesee county but hunt down the road on public mostly in Gratiot county. Right on the rifle line of m57, if I hunt the public north of the road I can use any rifle, if I go across the street I'm in the limited firearm.

OP
C
Thanks, yeah zone 3, live in Genesee county but hunt down the road on public mostly in Gratiot county. Right on the rifle line of m57, if I hunt the public north of the road I can use any rifle, if I go across the street I'm in the limited firearm.
I'd imagine that's pretty high pressure. I grew up around kzoo and lived/hunted Washtenaw about 5 years. I shot a nice buck with my bow and drug him past 3 ladder stands with bait on the way out. Lots of deer, I was able to get away from the crowds by getting my feet wet, sometimes it seems harder to avoid people up here with so many logging roads. Definitely less hunters up here especially during archery, just different way the land is laid out. Plus and minus to each

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
I'd imagine that's pretty high pressure. I grew up around kzoo and lived/hunted Washtenaw about 5 years. I shot a nice buck with my bow and drug him past 3 ladder stands with bait on the way out. Lots of deer, I was able to get away from the crowds by getting my feet wet, sometimes it seems harder to avoid people up here with so many logging roads. Definitely less hunters up here especially during archery, just different way the land is laid out. Plus and minus to each
It used to pretty easy to get away from other hunters during bow season, the first 2 days of gun would be a mad house of orange army and deer drivers then it would calm down till Thanksgiving day when you have a influx of hunters in the morning and after that for the rest of the season it seemed like everyone just gave up. Last year though was crazy with the amount of brand new covid hunters throughout the whole season, luckily alot of them seemed to only wanna hunt one spot they had hung a stand before season. 5 outta 6 deer I got last year came from that pressured public land, I just used all the hunters to my advantage. This year the pressure has gone down some. I see alot of tree stands or ladder stands that get put up and just left.

OP
C
It used to pretty easy to get away from other hunters during bow season, the first 2 days of gun would be a mad house of orange army and deer drivers then it would calm down till Thanksgiving day when you have a influx of hunters in the morning and after that for the rest of the season it seemed like everyone just gave up. Last year though was crazy with the amount of brand new covid hunters throughout the whole season, luckily alot of them seemed to only wanna hunt one spot they had hung a stand before season. 5 outta 6 deer I got last year came from that pressured public land, I just used all the hunters to my advantage. This year the pressure has gone down some. I see alot of tree stands or ladder stands that get put up and just left.
Dang 6 deer is an awesome season. Solid tactic, kinda handy cuz at least you know where the deer won't be... We saw a big influx of "covid hunters" duck hunting last year too. Seems to have been back to normal here. I guess it's good and bad right? Tough to beat solitude though

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
The spot I hunt the gun opener every here I rely on the orange army going into the surrounding hardwoods and pushing the deer into their safety zone where I'm waiting. I do enjoy the solitude, it's nice not having someone come stomping through at prime time.

OP
C
I use to hunt in Iron County, go days without seeing a deer.
I feel your pain. The first year I moved back up here, I got serious about cameras. I didn't get a daylight picture of a buck until 11/16, and some spots I'd routinely go 5 days with no pictures of deer at all.

mi650

WKR
I've never hunted in da U.P. eh. 😁 Only been over the bridge twice.

I've been hunting my own property in Gladwin county exclusively since I bought it in 2000.

Veterans Day 7 point, weighed 111 lbs. on the butchers scale, after being gutted and then caped by the taxidermist. (That's pretty big for this part of the state.)

Was a great afternoon in the woods, does running all over, being chased by bucks. I love hunting those last few days before gun season!!

mcf23yH.jpg

rL4jxCH.jpg

OP
C
I've never hunted in da U.P. eh. 😁 Only been over the bridge twice.

I've been hunting my own property in Gladwin county exclusively since I bought it in 2000.

Veterans Day 7 point, weighed 111 lbs. on the butchers scale, after being gutted and then caped by the taxidermist. (That's pretty big for this part of the state.)

Was a great afternoon in the woods, does running all over, being chased by bucks. I love hunting those last few days before gun season!!

mcf23yH.jpg

rL4jxCH.jpg
Nice buck congrats