Upping the Budget on Ultralight

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Rokslide,

In the search for a sub 7 pound rifle scoped, I’ve noticed that I may have to up the budget some. I was originally looking around the $1500 mark for rifle only, where my options were a semi custom Tikka build, Barrett Fieldcraft, and a Christensen Mesa(over 7# scoped). But with some of the newer additions like the Seekins Element and Christensen Ridgeline Titanium, I am starting to wonder if it’s worth an extra $1K to step up to these rifles? I read a lot of mixed reviews on these production semi customs, and I just don’t have the cash to go full custom, so here I am in a bit of a conundrum. My current rifle is a 90’s Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 that comes in at 10#. I know here on Rokslide we love our Tikkas, but mentally I want something nicer as I probably won’t buy another hunting rifle for 20 years, and I am also wanting a 6.5 PRC in lefty, I know that’s a bit of a unicorn, but hoping after Shot Show some options will be available.

So to those who went above the middle of the road rifles, were there any regrets to your purchase of a Seekins, Fierce, Christensen or any others I missed?

I live in the middle of elk and mule deer country Colorado, so saving for a western hunt is not an issue. Although I am wanting to go on a Alaska hunt sometime in the near future.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madcalfe

WKR
im running a Christensen ridge line in .300wsm i wouldn't classify it as a ultralight by any means.
im sitting at 8lbs 6oz with tally lightweights, Leopold vx5, spartan bipold and 3 shells in the gun.
theres nothing wrong with ridgelines (mine anyways) if i were to go to a aftermerket stock like a wildcat id save about another 8oz but then thats 3000$cdn for the gun plus 1000$ stock, your getting close to a custom built rifle.

i did have a semi custom tikka prior to it in .300wsm. came in at 5lbs 11oz with a wildcat stock. tikka are nice after a bit of money put into them.

Personally not a fan but you might consider adding a Kimber to your list?? They make some pretty lightweight rifles that might get you to your target weight and be in the budget. Seems the guys that have one that shoots really like them.

Another one maybe but is over budget and maybe overweight is the Proof Research Elevation rifle, been really looking at one of those in 7MM-08.

But depending on your scope choice, keeping it under 7 lbs will be tough IMHO. I only have one that will make it under 7 lbs, its a 1st Gen Remington Ti in 7MM-08 with a fixed Leupold 6x on it, it gives me lots of wiggle room to stay under 7lbs, under 6 lbs as it sits;)

413447233.jpg

0uTkAsT

FNG
I was going to ask why Kimber isn't being considered... The Adirondack in particular comes in at less than 5lbs and $1,600. The Mountain Ascent and others from their lineup shouldn't be far off from that.

tdot

WKR
I've played this game a few times now, including trying to build an ultralight full custom. It's pretty easy to throw boatloads of money at a full custom and still end up heavier then either the Fieldcraft or Kimber Montana/ascent, etc.

If lightweight was my primary goal, then I would buy a Fieldcraft or some iteration of a Kimber.

I struggle with a Tikka build, the few that I've handled weren't too far from the price of my full custom and they were still a Tikka. By the time you replace the stock/trigger/barrel/bottom metal, what's the point?

The scope requirements will be a big part of the weight.

My lightest gun is a Kimber Montana 308 with a little bit of work done to it, sub 6 pounds with a Z3 scope. But I will take my sub 8lb custom with a carbon barrel, McMillan stock and Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 just about every day of the week.

I've played this game a few times now, including trying to build an ultralight full custom. It's pretty easy to throw boatloads of money at a full custom and still end up heavier then either the Fieldcraft or Kimber Montana/ascent, etc.

If lightweight was my primary goal, then I would buy a Fieldcraft or some iteration of a Kimber.

I struggle with a Tikka build, the few that I've handled weren't too far from the price of my full custom and they were still a Tikka. By the time you replace the stock/trigger/barrel/bottom metal, what's the point?

The scope requirements will be a big part of the weight.

My lightest gun is a Kimber Montana 308 with a little bit of work done to it, sub 6 pounds with a Z3 scope. But I will take my sub 8lb custom with a carbon barrel, McMillan stock and Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 just about every day of the week.

Why??????? Tikkas almost always shoot right out of the box. The stock isn't uber lightweight but if you like it, its one of the better factory stocks out there. WTF would you replace a barrel for?? Trigger is also easy to like and adjust so not sure what your purpose would be to go that route.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ll take a stab at this... don’t hate me. Tikkas are great if you just want to go bang and hit what you aim at, nothing more. But...

The stock sucks. Flimsy plastic junk. The plastic magazine sucks too. Who wants cheap plastic in a firearm? The bolt stop sucks. You can’t get a true short action. And lastly, the aesthetics leave a lot to be desired! It’s full of compromises.

So if a guy has the cash to build a custom gun and doesn’t want to compromise, he gets a gun built exactly the way he wants it. Ain’t America great!

Why do people buy Mercedes when a Honda Civic does the same thing?

ljalberta

WKR
Have a Tikka. Love my Tikka. Will be purchasing a Fieldcraft and some iteration of a Christensen Arms. I think SDHNTR nailed the reasons why.

Looking forward to seeing what you choose Peaks&Creeks.

TheViking

WKR
Christensen Arms Mesa - just picked up 300 WM on Black Friday Sale (that lasted most of December) for $1050.

tdot

WKR
What do these customs do that a Tikka won't do? Not being a smarta$$ but honestly asking.

My factory Tikka 7mm-08 shoots 3/4-1/2 MOA on a regular basis, and weighs 6 lbs. 13 oz. scoped. I have $600 in it. What am I missing by not spending more money, I wonder?

By nicer, do you mean stock? Safety? What exactly?

Firstly, I didn't specifically say anything was nicer then a Tikka.

I have no problem with the Tikka.

As mentioned in my post, I'm referring to complete builds off of the Tikka action. If you're going to take a Tikka and keep it what it is, then awesome. If you're going to take it and replace everything, as mentioned in my post. Then it just doesnt make sense to me.

My Lone Peak action is smoother and just more solid/positive feeling then any action I've felt on a sub $3000 rifle, and it better for the price. The rifle is also very well balanced. Something I've not found in an off the shelf rifle. The stock fits me perfect, and again, it better for the price. I sold 3 rifles to afford one. I also built it as a switch barrel, something I couldnt find in an off the shelf rifle, at this weight and quality range. The only thing I'd do differently next time is I'd skip buying the first 3 rifles. Though they were certainly part of the refining process for me.

A custom rifle is an incremental upgrade. But it filled a pretty big gap for me, that previously took 3 rifles.

tdot

WKR
Why??????? Tikkas almost always shoot right out of the box. The stock isn't uber lightweight but if you like it, its one of the better factory stocks out there. WTF would you replace a barrel for?? Trigger is also easy to like and adjust so not sure what your purpose would be to go that route.

I didn't say that I would do anything to a Tikka. I said it didnt make sense to.

And a barrel is arguably responsible for more of your accuracy then just about any other single component. So if there was something to replace, that might be it.

robtattoo

WKR
20170417_144120.jpg

Maybe $750 into this little Savage .308. It shoots as well anything else I've ever had out to my limit of 300yds.

No, it's not groovy carbon, boutique, titanium whatever-multi-thousand-dollar & I'm sure it has the cool points of a club foot, but it kills shit just as well as $3000 rifle & weighs a good piece less than most, too......

But...

The stock sucks. Flimsy plastic junk. The plastic magazine sucks too. Who wants cheap plastic in a firearm? The bolt stop sucks. You can’t get a true short action.

Guess that's a matter of opinion. I don't agree with any of those opinions. Yup, it's a free country so you're welcome to what you believe. On the point of the stock, it's one of the better if not the best plastic factory stock out there. I challenge anyone to pick a better plastic factory stock really. Not saying it's a Manners or B&C but factory plastic doesn't really get any better. And after I put a textured paint job on it, most folks don't know it's not a custom stock.

16Bore

WKR
Have you read all the threads about the broken mags, snapped trigger guards, broken stocks, shitty triggers, and cracked stocks?

Yeah, I couldn’t find them either.....