Upping the Budget on Ultralight

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Send Oregunsmithiing your left hand action & he will add a barrel in the caliber of your choice & lightweight stock for less than your expanded budget. In short action Remington Model 7's they end up +/- 6lbs scoped with Talley rings & Leopold compact scopes. Mine all shoot 5 shot sub-moa groups with no cooling between shots. I've had 260, 7-08 & 308 so far. He can cerakote as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
To the OP, I was much in the same boat a couple years ago. I wanted a compact 6 1/2 lb scoped and loaded mountain rifle... but I’m cheap, and personally wanted to stay out of the click of the semi custom factory rifles and their chamberings... so I built my own.

Lightly used t3 6.5 swede $700 cad
Wildcat stock $500 cad (easy to bed and finish yourself)
Barrel chop and fluting and cerakote $450 cad

The rifle finished at 5lb 8oz. The $$ I saved from going this route, I used for a z3 3-9x36,
now sitting at 6 lb 8oz loaded with 3 rounds. On paper, this was the cheapest way to achieve what I wanted.

Although, this route doesn’t really help without a barrel change or re chamber if your going with the prc.

View attachment 145393

Maybe $750 into this little Savage .308. It shoots as well anything else I've ever had out to my limit of 300yds.

No, it's not groovy carbon, boutique, titanium whatever-multi-thousand-dollar & I'm sure it has the cool points of a club foot, but it kills shit just as well as $3000 rifle & weighs a good piece less than most, too......
What stock is that?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Terrapin

WKR
I have enjoyed my Kimber Mountain Ascent. It is light, handy, and surprisingly accurate with factory loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve considered all the other manufacturers that have been recommended, but as Kimber7man pointed out, none of these manufacturers make a left hand action. I really had my sights set on the Fieldcraft, and was hoping they would make a left hand version, but now that they are fulfilling military contracts it may be a couple years before that may be an option. Also, Seekins has told me they are not making a lefty and don’t plan on doing so. This takes a lot of options away from me. I have also thought about Tikka, but I just can’t get past the feel of the rifle, no offense, and no PRC option either. I’m not wanting to be part of the boutique elitist custom guys, but whiteout factory options this may be the only way for me to go. The Christensen Ridgeline Ti piqued my interest, but still no 6.5PRC in lefty, and for a few hundred more of that rifle, which Christensen would charge me anyway for a left handed action, I can build a nice custom. I’m hoping Shot Show will release some new options but I’m not holding my breath.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
A few different options available, one that nobody has mentioned yet...

If you're upping your budget you may want to take a look at the Sako 85 Carbon Light Stainless. It's 5.3 lbs, shoots absolutely lights out, adjustable crisp trigger... Think of Tikka only nicer. Flush mounted stainless magazine, all stainless bottom metal and trigger. Stainless fluted barrel, carbon fiber stock and with a 5 shot MOA lifetime guarantee... For around $2,700 that's a really really nice rig in my opinion. My Sakos have all shot as well as any custom built rig I've owned. They used to come in a lefty version as well and they were chambered in 7mm-08 like you asked about, not sure anymore. Call Josh at EuroOptic and ask if this tickles your fancy.

renagde

WKR
Following along to see suggestions. I'm in the same boat, only I have it easy and just want a right hand 6.5 prc. Seekins is on the short list.

I also just saw another thread another member posted about the Savage 110 ultralight, a new model from them with a Proof carbon barrel. Under 6lbs for most of the calibers. You might want to contact them to see if they'll be making a left hand version of it.

tdot

WKR
If you can find a Sako A7 in lefty, it's a pretty handy rifle. About half the price of the 85. Not quite as refined, not quite as light but still a heck of a nice gun for the price. I love my A7 in 7mm-08.

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Renegade, you do have it easy. The Seekins Element has everything I’m looking for, just not shilling out that kinda cash for a rifle I can’t cycle rounds out of properly. My search would be over if they only made a lefty. The Savage Ultralight seems like a descent option as well, as of now I don’t see a left handed model yet, and I’d like to get my hands around one first.

robtattoo

WKR
Renegade, you do have it easy. The Seekins Element has everything I’m looking for, just not shilling out that kinda cash for a rifle I can’t cycle rounds out of properly. My search would be over if they only made a lefty. The Savage Ultralight seems like a descent option as well, as of now I don’t see a left handed model yet, and I’d like to get my hands around one first.

Someone asked about a cack-hander on their Facebook release post & they replied that it's not being offered at this time. Sorry.

It's the standard model 16LWH tupperware number, with a rattle-can paint job.
It's 3oz lighter than the original model 11 wood stock, although not as stiff. Doesn't seem to affect accuracy though!
I've put a rattle can of textured paint on quite a few Savage tupperware stocks, and they all shot great. I never saw the need to bed any of them and they were all about 24 oz.