Upright manual defrost freezer - a thing of the past?

Brendan

WKR
Anyways...I want to revisit this idea of "frost free" causing freezer burn. I've been worried to death about buying a new frost free model because practically every single article I read online says, "NOT FOR LONG TERM MEAT STORAGE." I'm encouraged after reading some of your comments that this problem may no longer be an issue with newer technology.

I put this earlier in the thread, but All BS in my mind with newer models - check out the post I made earlier in the thread with the temp ranges of my new upright vs. my chest freezer. If a freezer never goes above 0 F how is it going to cause freezer burn any more than a frost free model with the same temperature?

There are some advantages and disadvantages to upright vs. chest, but I don't think frost free vs. non is even an issue anymore when it comes to freezer burn.

I like to freeze my meat on an aluminum baking sheet so wire or glass doesn't matter. Keeps everything nice and flat and good conduction to cool it down quickly. I do the same thing with veggies and berries. With meat it's usually in a vacuum seal bag already, but sometimes I'll even leave it out to dry a bit. It works great to freeze store bought breakfast sausage overnight them in the morning i throw them individually into a gallon Ziploc. Makes it easy to grab it just enough for breakfast.

xajoles

FNG
So far so good. Although, it's new to me this year. Replaced an older/smaller frost free that I had for 12 years (No freezer burn or defrosting issues with that either). Really like that I found it for $300 and sold my old one for $250!

I like that I can add/remove the drawers if I want, and add in another shelf if needed.

79841609e17338326fe667ff0dcb8b73.jpg
Einbau-Gefrierschrank No-Frost Test-Überblick: Die besten Einbau-Gefrierschränke No-Frost im Vergleich - KitchenProfy
Hi all have a candy built-in fridge freezer, fridge part is supposed to be frost free but for a while now there is a build up of ice in the bottom drain off area of the unit which I have to chip off every day. It is only 3 years old. Anyone got a solution?

OP
S
15 months later, how's it treating you?
Great. Probably fluctuates between -10 and 5 F, which is to be expected for frost-free. But anybody who says that it has a detrimental effect on food is full of it. Whether it's -10 F or 5 F, it's frozen solid and staying that way. Those fluctuations up to 5 F only happen every few days anyway.

Great. Probably fluctuates between -10 and 5 F, which is to be expected for frost-free. But anybody who says that it has a detrimental effect on food is full of it. Whether it's -10 F or 5 F, it's frozen solid and staying that way. Those fluctuations up to 5 F only happen every few days anyway.
Great to hear!

Whisky

WKR
I caved and bought a Frigidaire frost free upright. Only been using it for a week, so time will tell.
I did keep one of my chest freezers for longer term storage of bulk meats.

6x7x8 walk in cooler with with removable wire racking problem solved also works well for hanging and aging wild game before butchering

Gone4Days

WKR
I have a frost free upright and use a temp monitor/alarm. My temps are consistently between -1° and -6°. The monitor tracks daytime highs and lows and the temps are never out of that range unless someone is in the freezer digging around with door open.

Somedude

FNG
Hi Steve,

Are you still happy with your GE? I just ordered one to store bulk meat. After I ordered it, I read many articles regarding frost free concerns for long term storage. I even called GE, and they too advised their chest freezer with manual defrost for long term storage. I just stumbled across the thread which seems very encouraging. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gone4Days

WKR
I have a frost free and have a wireless temp monitor in there at all times that records high/low temps all week. My temp range from -10° for low to 0° for high temp. frost free doesn’t mean the freezer is getting up to 20-30° inside. just the coils warm up briefly

Last edited:

Somedude

FNG
I have a frost free and have a wireless temp monitor in there at all times that records high/low temps all week. My temp range from -10° for low to 1° for high temp. frost free doesn’t mean the freezer is getting up to 20-30° inside. just the coils warm up briefly
Thanks for the info. Which freezer do you have?

I have always had manual defrost chest freezers in the past. Next one will be a upright frost free. I burn through my game meat in a year. I’m tired of trying to organize that chest freezer and having to move stuff around To find what I’m looking for. I just want open the door and grab what I need off the shelf. I’m old and have earned the right to have convenience in my life. LOL. Or so I claim.

hunterjmj

WKR
I've had a Kenmore upright frost free for about 6 years now and I've never noticed an issue. We don't store meat for more than a year so there is that. I'd buy the same freezer again if needed. I also have a small chest freezer but it's a royal pain in the butt.