Upright vs Chest Freezer

Will_m

WKR
Can somebody sell me on one or the other? I'm looking at purchasing and it is hard to ignore the price difference in the two.

Here's how I expect to use it:

• Storing meat (some packaged, maybe some whole until I can process)
  • Probably put some grocery store stuff in there (frozen veggies, fruits, meats on clearance, maybe)
  • May or may not put a deer cape/head in it (judging by history, probably won't need it for this)
  • I can't imagine having stuff in there for longer than a year without consuming it
  • Undecided on whether it will be inside or in a garage
Here's what I like/don't like about uprights (looking at 17 cf):
  • I can see what's in it
  • Frost free option
  • Price is substantially higher
Here's what I like/don't like about chest freezers (looking at some 5-7 cf)
  • Can't see what is in it
  • No frost free (how big of a deal is this?)
  • Price is substantially lower
  • The ones I have looked at are some kind of off brand, i.e., not GE, Maytag, etc.
  • Could pack more stuff in less cubic footage, I think

Superdoo

WKR
If you have space, go with the chest freezer. You're not going to fit much in a 5 cf. I just got one and the wife filled it to the brim right away.
I have two chest freezers. The 5 and an old one that must be around a 10 cf. I'm officially out of space for additional freezers so I'm looking to get an upright.

If I could get the damn Schwans guy to stop banging my wife I wouldn't need more freezer space!:ROFLMAO:

Brendan

WKR
I have both, but 100% upright when you're going to be pulling stuff out for use on a daily basis. Better organization, more usable, and frost free matters when you live in an area with high humidity.

I had a 12cf upright that I could fit a bull elk and a deer into, with a little room for household ancillaries. Upgraded to an almost 20cf upright plus a 7.5 cf chest freezer for longer term storage.

My upright maintains every bit as cold a temp as the chest freezer too.

UtahJimmy

WKR
You do NOT want a frost free freezer for long term storage.

If you are going to access it frequently, go with an upright. CF are a bitch to keep organized if you're frequently loading and unloading it.

My system:
CF for sealed/boxed meat - labeled by year, animal, cuts.
Upright for open boxes and misc grocery store items
Fridge/freezer combo in the house gets restocked from the upright. When wife tells me we are out of something in the upright, I replace it from the CF.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I also have both and I think it's a good system. Actually I have two chest freezers and one upright. I have one really big chest freezer that I use for all of my various roasts and bigger items. I have a small chest freezer that I use seasonally to store meat I need to turn into burger and sausage.. Then I have a 19 CF upright that we keep all of our miscellaneous costco stuff as well as packages of ground meat.

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
Looks like general consensus on upright is that its better for being in and out of frequently, which I don't think I would be under my current needs. Thanks for all the input.

HUNT JR

WKR
I have one of each. I really like the upright for normal freezer foods and then steaks, roasts, fish and the kind of food that it matters what I grab. The chest freezer I use exclusively for burger. I always fight the organization in a chest freezer so, for me this is the easiest way to keep things organized.

Agross

WKR
Hands down an upright. It took me a long time to switch from a chest freezer to an upright. Wish I woulda done it a lot sooner. So much easier. I always thought they wouldn’t hold as much. Not the case. Mine is like 21 cubic ft. Love it. Don’t go frost free.

Brendan

WKR
You do NOT want a frost free freezer for long term storage.
This is a myth. The highest temp my frost free upright reaches is -3F (And that includes being opened here and there). Low temp is the same as my chest freezer at around -30F. That's on a 24x7 temperature monitor. Frost free does not require going above freezing like some people think it does.

I've pulled stuff out of my previous frost free upright after 4 years of storage, where that freezer got up to the balmy temperature of about +10F as a high and it was absolutely fine (properly vacuum sealed).

Now I do agree if you're just storing, never opening, might as well go with something that maintains a slightly lower temperature, but the difference isn't that big.

Laramie

WKR
Freezers are pretty dang cheap. I own both and recommend the same. Chest for long term storage and upright for frequent access.

TX_Diver

WKR
One thing to consider is an upright is much easier to leave open accidentally. Whatever you get buy a freezer alarm!

I have both and like the upright for hanging meat but generally use our chest freezer for more stuff.

CCH

WKR
If you have only one (I do), I highly recommend an upright. As has been mentioned, they are just so much easier to organize and get to stuff. I do not miss our chest freezer at all when compared to our upright, but could see having both if there was room.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If only 1 I'd get an upright. I just added a second upright and I also have a chest freezer, I prefer to use the uprights for access/organization (get boxes/containers that fit the shelfs so you can load them up w/o stuff jumping out at you ;) ) and the chest freezer for incoming meat and oversized stuff.

All mine are manual defrost, they live in the basement in CO (low humidity) and don't build up what I would consider excessive frost (blocking usage), I just defrost them late summer usually when they are lowest on contents. Move the stuff to other freezers or into my hunting coolers, layer towels in the bottom to soak up the melting, let it melt/dry and reload it.

I prefer a chest freezer for long term storage (not going into it daily). You can fill it up to the brim (as long as you can close the lid). If you have an upright and something shifts inside and falls against the door, the door could open and your freezer would run until you discovered it, and most of your meat would thaw and spoil. If you keep it in your home there is less chance of it going undiscovered, but some folks keep them in a shed or garage where they are not checked on daily. Many good reasons posted above by members who prefer upright freezers. I have had several chest freezers, and prefer them.
I acquired some mesh laundry bags that have a zippered top, similar to these used by correctional institutions and I put my frozen packaged Elk meat in those. One holds ground elk, one holds roasts, one holds backstrap and tenderloins, and one holds sausage. I just unzip whatever bag I need and pull the frozen package of meat out of it. It stays neat in the freezer and well organized.

Last edited:
My preference is chest. Cold air settles. When you open it, cold air stays put better than a door opening sideways.

Same for stacking things. Gravity is on your side with a chest...

I had a smaller chest freezer, sold it and got a larger upright. I like being able to see what I'm getting. My dad has a very large chest freezer and you have to shuffle to find what you want because everything is sitting on top of something you want.

A positive for the upright is less footprint on the floor if that matters for the same cubic feet.

What Alarm/monitor you guys using?

My kids are getting older and might need add one. Mine does have a lock feature.

Bighorner

WKR
Lots of good info. I have both a d both have there place. But if I only could have one, it would be the up right.

I currently have a chest freezer, but in the future i’ll be getting an upright. I think i’d rather be able to see what i’m pulling out. The folks that have both seem to have a really solid system so I might give that a go. If only one though, i’d go upright.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Same for stacking things. Gravity is on your side with a chest...
Yep. My wife tends to overstuff the uprights and then when I open them stuff falls out.......like that frozen 12lb ham that hit my ankle bone on the way down just right (or wrong) in 2017. That cost me a broken wrist right before archery season. I generally respond very quickly in a subconscious manner when I get attacked.....and then wonder what the heck just happened.