UPS!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Went in to mail a chassis today. They told me as of yesterday, shipping gun parts(non-FFL items) was no longer allowed without an FFL by UPS. BUT scopes and ammo are ok.... Has anyone else run into this?

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had them open a package at the hub. I told them it was brass parts (bullets) and they apparently didn’t believe me and opened my package and called me back to the hub. When I went in I explained it wasn’t a hazard material so didn’t require the black and white diamond and I didn’t lie. They were so confused. They said, just put the sticker and call it ammo. They’re idiots.

My hub gave me a hard time about a suppressor, they said anything with a serial number that’s gun related needs FFL info and they showed me the literature they had. Your guy was confused and it doesn’t need any FFL info but you’re kind of at their mercy.

tony

WKR
The same UPS that is supposedly "seizing" firearms related items without justification?
I only use UPS if it is a return set up through the outfit I bought from such as Amazon.
I recently found out Kohls takes Amazon returns and you get Kohls bucks as well! :p

h2so4

WKR
I’ve not had the issue yet. Did you go to a UPS store that is privately run or did you go to a UPS distribution center?

def90

WKR
UPS Stores are not UPS, they are simply an independent company that pays for the right to use the UPS name and in return accepts UPS packages for shipping. They have their own policies outside of UPS and have always been anti firearms in their policies.

That said, UPS itself did change their firearms and parts shipping policy today. It basically states that individuals or non FFL holders can no longer ship firearms or parts through UPS.

"UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) and firearm parts that do not constitute firearms as defined by federal law (together, “Firearm Products”) for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products."

tony

WKR
A non FFL has to ship a firearm through an FFL correct? I've only sold one firearm on line and I took it to my FFL and paid him to ship it UPS to the buyers FFL.

But a non FFL can ship a firearm say back to a manufacturer for repairs right?

Or is it UPS was not following the law? Seems slightly confusing.

Gutshotem

WKR
A non FFL has to ship a firearm through an FFL correct? I've only sold one firearm on line and I took it to my FFL and paid him to ship it UPS to the buyers FFL.

But a non FFL can ship a firearm say back to a manufacturer for repairs right?

Or is it UPS was not following the law? Seems slightly confusing.
You can ship a firearm directly to the buyer's FFL if their FFL will accept from an individual (some won't for whatever reason). You just need to include a copy of your DL in the package.

I heard the policy change was coming, and decided to dimply not ship via UPS, or receive via UPS if I have a choice in the matter.

Ran into that issue at a store over 10 years ago, no hub around here.

I’ve shipped a pile of rifles through USPS though. They only ask the standard question there. Even when I shoved a pelican double rifle case through the window.

Went in to mail a chassis today. They told me as of yesterday, shipping gun parts(non-FFL items) was no longer allowed without an FFL by UPS. BUT scopes and ammo are ok.... Has anyone else run into this?
Sounds like they don't want our money. I heard something a few weeks ago about them or Fedx can't remember who destroying packages from gun companies. Langley Outdoors had a video on it.

Grumman

WKR
There’s a thread about this over on another forum. It sounds like their new policy is anything firearm related has to be a scheduled pickup. They charge you a $35 pickup fee and give a 5 hour window of when they might be there. That flat out sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a rifle chassis it's a polymer bed for testing equipment...I never tell them what exactly it is..last time I sent a barrel to have chopped and threaded I told them it was metal parts being sent out for machine work. I dont lie I just try not use words they have on their ban list.
What's really funny is UPS never makes me sign for anything they have left many a bottle of liquor and cases of ammo on my doorstep no signature required.