Urine on binoculars?

Seabee

FNG
I have a pair of Nikon Monarch HG binoculars that was visited by a rodent one night. There are a couple bites on the eyecups, but there's now a persistent urine smell. Any advice on how to get the smell off safely?

pc3

WKR
Mild solution of Vinegar and water.........or maybe a little bicarb soda, Just check this wont damage lens coatings though.

Rodéo

WKR
Not was I was expecting from the title but then again...what the hell was I expecting when I clicked on this.

Hasn't happened to me with bino's but has with other gear. I'd give them a good wash with warm water and scrub (stay away from the lenses obviously)

TomJoad

WKR
Amazing thread title. Def in my top ten for RS.

As for the remedy stay away from baking soda, it’s a mild abrasive. I’d go for mild soap and water per the above posters. If the smell is on webbing from a strap remove that and scrub separately.

Once they’re clean post those suckers for sale and start looking to upgrade that glass!!

That's a bummer. I thought this was going to be one of those peeing while hunting threads 😂 I would try soap and water. Maybe hydrogen peroxide

I have a pair of Nikon Monarch HG binoculars that was visited by a rodent one night. There are a couple bites on the eyecups, but there's now a persistent urine smell. Any advice on how to get the smell off safely?
New binos come with new smells

slatty

WKR
I would mild soap and water or use whatever on the body, it's durable, and I would use a lens wipe on the lenses. Nothing will stick to that glass after a wipe down, just getting the nooks and crannies cleaned on the body is most important.
This is coming from a guy who had to get skunk spray off a shotgun. Get in those nooks and crannies.

OP
S

Seabee

FNG
Thanks for all the replies! What a great community. Now let’s see what works. I’ll be starting with soap and water, and escalating the attack to rubbing alcohol then nature’s miracle if needed...

elkguide

WKR
Whatever you use besides mild soap and water, be careful to not get it on the seals around the lenses. Even glass cleaners have been known to eat the seals. Always put the cleaner on a glass cloth and then apply it to the glass. Don't spray directly on the lenses.