US made alternative to Kodiak Canvas?

I wanted a Kodiak canvas 10x14 for my family camping and truck camping tent. I like how simple it seems to be to set up compared to a wall tent. It fits all my needs but one, that being that's it's made in China. I then looked into Springbars similar offering but it's Chinese too. Is there a large tent that is simple to set up and essentially bombproof that is US made? Or am I stuck with going with a wall tent?

sasquatch

WKR
Remember they employ a lot of Americans too, just because it’s fabricated in China don’t mean it don’t support American citizens.

The business has to survive or nobody has a job. Going overseas allows a lot of this

I have two kodiaks, love them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Michael54

WKR
Save yourself a lot of money and buy the Kodiak. Tbh I'm having a lot less headaches with foreign made stuff than made in the USA stuff anymore. I'm tired of paying premium prices for crap made by people that started their day waiting in line at a methadone clinic. If it's sold in the U.S.A an american somewhere is making money. Plus I have a feeling that after the next administration made in america items will be unicorns anyways.

The majority of stuff we own has parts sourced from other countries even if it was “made” (assembled) in the US. I get trying to buy American if available (which sounds like what you’re doing), but I don’t think you’re going to find an alternative here.

Beendare

WKR
I would agree with 5 miles, get the internal aluminum frame .....I can set up my wall tent in 20 min solo.....and its like a small cabin.

Another solo wall tent guy. Takes me about 40 minutes to set up my 16x 20 by myself; 20 minutes tops the 16x14

Attachments

• 5A8653F2-8626-4685-A3A7-CEBD8C75F0E3.jpeg
    5A8653F2-8626-4685-A3A7-CEBD8C75F0E3.jpeg
    620.3 KB · Views: 99

ncstewart

WKR
Wall tent with internal frame would be my choice if money wasn’t an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pontius

FNG
Totally understand if you're standing on principle. But Kodiak quality shouldn't concern you. The thing is bombproof all around. The floor is an armored tub, stitching solid, zippers continue to work great, no leaks, poles are sturdy. I've got four years on mine, used it from snowy 10F to 90F, been whacked with a microburst, never a problem.

OP
A
Thanks for the replies all. It looks like a wall tent is the way I'll probably have to go. Like Pontius guessed, it's principle to me. I was trying to keep my money here in the States as much as I can. It bums me out when I see good gear but it's not made here. Sitka is a good example. Great gear, I own a lot of it. I probably won't stop buying it because there's not a great alternative made in the US as of now (sixsite was, gone now).

Looking around at various wall tents, it seems the majority of them claim to be made and sewn in the US. The cost is higher and it seems like it will be bulkier packed up which bums me out for our cross country trips. It is what it is though.

dduarte85

FNG
My wife and I are super torn... we have always been big campers and for years squeezed in small ass tents all around the US. We now have a one year old and we want to impart that love of camping in him and are looking for a solid long term investment in a canvas tent.

a part of me follows that American first mentality so the springbar is high on my list. At the same time, at nearly twice the price is it really worth it? It’s a tough call especially when forum member after forum member swears by the Kodiak.

my only fear with Springbar is the Filson model. Vintage filson, reallll nice... new Filson? Eh... despite being American made. Does the company rest on its laurels?

bhylton

WKR
check out the spike tent series by montana canvas or "reliable tents" out of billings MT. i have a 10 x 10 from reliable and can set it up solo in 10 minutes and can fit the entire setup on the back seat of sedan. both make a 12x12 version as well. I have a 12x14 wall tent and go for the Reliable 10x10 spike tent style with a stove every time

frosty_1

FNG
check out the spike tent series by montana canvas or "reliable tents" out of billings MT. i have a 10 x 10 from reliable and can set it up solo in 10 minutes and can fit the entire setup on the back seat of sedan. both make a 12x12 version as well. I have a 12x14 wall tent and go for the Reliable 10x10 spike tent style with a stove every time

Which model do you have from Reliable? The Teton? Did you opt for the 4' sides? Any other thoughts if you were to order again?

Springbar is the original manufacturer of that style tent, started in the 60's. Kodiak stole the design and had them made overseas. Springbar has some better options than Kodiak, but they do cost more.

jhm2023

WKR
If money isn't an issue then an Arctic Oven is the best choice in my experience. Easy to setup, bombproof enough for anything humans have any business being in and they're made right here in Alaska. We used a AO Igloo for years as a family for hunting and fishing and are now using an AO12 w/vestibule. The 12 offers plenty of space to stay comfortable and sane even in the worst weather with 2 adults a kid and 2 dogs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dduarte85

FNG
Springbar is the original manufacturer of that style tent, started in the 60's. Kodiak stole the design and had them made overseas. Springbar has some better options than Kodiak, but they do cost more.
I was eyeing a 10x14... the price difference between the Family model from Spring and the kodiak is 1400 vs 650. Springbar makes an overseas model at like 799 but doesn’t that defeat the purpose?