USA Made

92xj

WKR
What USA made/sourced companies are you supporting in the clothing department?
I am currently starting to slowly transition to USA made where I can and when I can afford it.
Forloh is on the radar and I have a jacket on the way to do some testing.
Darn Tough socks I am rocking.
I have been doing a little search for leg gaiters but aren't coming up with much besides T&K, which I am not fond of, but might have to give a shot.
Considering a piece from Duckworth wool to try for some base layers and insulating.
Am also on the lookout for a hooded grid fleece.
What have you guys gone to and recommend or stay away from?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The best hooded fleece I’ve found so far isn’t made in the US. It’s made from a New Zealand based company called Swazi.

I use FL base layers because they are the best and last the longest. Don’t care where they are sewn honestly. The R and D was done here and the profit margins stay here and go back into the company and into our economy.

The whole “overseas” is bad thing is not always the case I guess is what I’m trying to say.

I’ll be following this for information gathering as well. Thanks!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Patagonia. Outdoor Research, Arcteryx, others have contracts with the military that require USA made. Typically these items will sell for more than their civilian counterparts, but most are also more durable (not surprisingly).

Also US outdoor cottage industries like Nunatak, Enlightened Equipment, others have items that would be of interest to hunters.

Recently Sitka started a company (sitka arrowhead) that meet Berry compliance for purchase by the military. Again expect to pay a little more for similar civilian pieces.

FNG
I’ve been always in the look out for USA made products and clothing.
Definitely will be checking out some of the companies listed here.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Patagonia. Outdoor Research, Arcteryx, others have contracts with the military that require USA made. Typically these items will sell for more than their civilian counterparts, but most are also more durable (not surprisingly).

Also US outdoor cottage industries like Nunatak, Enlightened Equipment, others have items that would be of interest to hunters.

Recently Sitka started a company (sitka arrowhead) that meet Berry compliance for purchase by the military. Again expect to pay a little more for similar civilian pieces.
Can’t recommend Nunatak enough. Absolute quality, function, and warmth. Best in the business. Same with Western Mountaneering more for sleep system stuff though from their side.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can’t recommend Nunatak enough. Absolute quality, function, and warmth. Best in the business. Same with Western Mountaneering more for sleep system stuff though from their side.

yeah Jan at Nuntak rocks! my glassing puffy and pants are both made by him and are top notch; not many places left where you can fully customize a clothing order- size, inseam/sleeve length, fabric, how much insulation, etc :)

22lr

WKR
Another plug for the military stuff, Berry Admendment compliant is gonna be expensive but will be US made from US made material. It will be more expensive, so if its worth it... thats up to you.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Sitka arrowhead might be berry compliant but still made in El Salvador.

I've been looking into the same thing. Following this thread to get some more ideas flowing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I'm slowly making that transition as well (to USA) when and where possible. Currently own a lot of Sitka/Kuiu/First Lite mix. Clothing/Textiles are so tough to find right now that are 100% berry compliant (US Sourced materials and made in US). I might try some Forloh but man their goofy deer logo drives me crazy, does it not look like a cheap walmart camo company logo? anyway try looking up companies that aren't necessarily hunting clothing brands and you might find some new options? Some UK gear brands haven't disappointed me like RAB, or Fjallraven.

LandYacht

WKR
The best hooded fleece I’ve found so far isn’t made in the US. It’s made from a New Zealand based company called Swazi.

I use FL base layers because they are the best and last the longest. Don’t care where they are sewn honestly. The R and D was done here and the profit margins stay here and go back into the company and into our economy.

The whole “overseas” is bad thing is not always the case I guess is what I’m trying to say.

I’ll be following this for information gathering as well. Thanks!

Have a hard time backing a company whose owner is mediocre at best in his public voice on New Zealand firearms ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Some Filson stuff, but it’s expensive. I wanted another Filson sweater in a different color. The one I have was made in China, and the new version is made in the US - for more. I’ve been told one limitation on US made clothing is the low number of quality looms and similar equipment in the US. Perhaps that’s changing?

EDIT - apparently very few of the Filson items are made entirely in the USA, and not many even mention on the website where made/sewn.

Last edited:

quaggy25

Lil-Rokslider

To clarify this. My understanding is they have certain lines that are USA made. Patagonia for sure has lines made in China. I am not familiar with the other mentioned. Will be interesting to see where Sitka take their Arrowhead line.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
To clarify this. My understanding is they have certain lines that are USA made. Patagonia for sure has lines made in China. I am not familiar with the other mentioned. Will be interesting to see where Sitka take their Arrowhead line.

the Patagonia military line up is not sold to the public, pieces have to purchased in secondary markets- eBay/Poshmark/etc

these pieces used to be able to be had for very reasonable prices, often less than their civilian versions- now they demand substantially more

the Arcetyrx LEAF lineup can be purchased by the public through different retailers

https://leaf.arcteryx.com/us/en/

Outdoor Research sadly has discontinued their military lineup (found this out a couple of weeks ago), still can be found on eBay, etc though