USA vs Overseas Made Packs - Is The Extra Cost Worth It?

What Pack Are You Most Likely To Buy If They Are The SAME Pack

• I'd purchase a 100% USA made pack with frame for around $700.

Votes: 85 70.8%
  • I'd purchase an overseas made pack (probably Vietnam ) with a USA frame for around $450.

Votes: 35 29.2%

• Total voters

Phaseolus

WKR
AKEK, That $700 USA made pack category is super tough to break into. Most guys will stick w/ Kifaru, Exo, and SG for the most part. If you want to go that route just ask yourself is the cost/risk worth it.

A high quality pack/frame in the 300-500 range is an easier market to compete in and fills a bigger void for a lot of guys that want quality but not the price tag.

Make it in the Phillipines (Mystery ranch) or Vietnam and you'd have less of an issue. Made in China will turn a lot of people off for sure.

Just my 2 cents
Seek Outside is made in Western Colorado using USA sourced materials

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
The guys from AKEK must be loving their participation in this forum at this point.

They start out by posting about their new product and they get SHREDDED because the pack/frame is made in China. They respond by saying they are going to move their operation to the USA.

When people hear the price of the USA manufacturing (which shouldn't have been a suprise to anyone) the overwhelming response is: TOO EXPENSIVE! MAKE IT IN CHINA!

Lolz!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
According to the poll results, the response has been in favor of US made.

This thread makes me think that Akek made some promises , but mis calculated the cost to move manufacturing to the US, and is now trying to justify keeping it overseas.

Personally, I'm all for made in the US, but I will not let COO overshadow poor quality.

sr80

WKR

This thread makes me think that Akek made some promises , but mis calculated the cost to move manufacturing to the US, and is now trying to justify keeping it overseas.

Personally, I'm all for made in the US, but I will not let COO overshadow poor quality.
my thoughts exactly. Who even made the frame they tried to sell on alibaba? Akek or did akek just brand it and try to sell it?

zacattack

WKR

This has been quite the saga to watch unfold.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Buy some sewing machines and make the bags yourselves. Figure out how to make frames. You would then be a pack manufacturer instead of a pack seller.

Last edited:

Since they weathered the first chit storm on this site, and were pretty candid the whole time, I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and not speculate every thought they may have.

We have nothing at stake, they have a lot at stake, so I’m hoping they succeed… not the easiest market to break into, but they are proving to be hard headed in a good way

WKR
Seems like something to hammer out before launching a brand/product...

If nothing else, this serves as a nice case study of how NOT to launch an outdoor brand.

Seems like something to hammer out before launching a brand/product...

If nothing else, this serves as a nice case study of how NOT to launch an outdoor brand.
They started with an overseas pack and are trying to shift manufacturing to the USA, why is this a case study on what not to do?

Starting with a cheaper to produce pack and then taking that money to design a pack to be made here seems like a logical path

How should they have done it? It’s easy to criticize things you aren’t invested in… starting a business is a process unless you start out with a disposable income, which generally isn’t the case… it starts with an idea, then you start working your way towards that goal.

WKR
They started with an overseas pack and are trying to shift manufacturing to the USA, why is this a case study on what not to do?

Starting with a cheaper to produce pack and then taking that money to design a pack to be made here seems like a logical path

How should they have done it? It’s easy to criticize things you aren’t invested in… starting a business is a process unless you start out with a disposable income, which generally isn’t the case… it starts with an idea, then you start working your way towards that goal.

Because it's confusing and inconsistent. At this point, AKEK doesn't know what AKEK is, or where AKEK is made. That's a huge problem, especially when attempting to break into the premium tier of a category. You only get one chance to make a first impression in the eyes of your customer.

If you confuse, you lose.

I've been running a business for 18 years, 3 different locations and starting from scratch twice. I'm not in the outdoor retail industry, but I'm somewhat aware of the process.

How should they have done it? They should have known exactly what they are, and where their stuff comes from, their price point, their brand image, and THEN tell the world what AKEK is. That would work a whole lot better than asking the world what they should be and then trying to redesign the parachute while in free fall.