USB Chargeable 18650 battery that fits Zebralight H600w Mk Series

TheCougar

WKR
The title says it all. Looking for a USB chargeable 18650 battery (battery itself has charging port - no charger required) that is 69mm or less. The Fenix batteries are 70mm long and I don’t think they will fit. I couldn’t find any Orbtronic batteries that are USB chargeable. There are some NiteCore batteries that will fit, but I don’t know if they are any good. Any recommendations for USB chargeable 18650 batteries that will fit the Zebralight H600 series headlamps?

Last edited:

Hathcock

FNG
Nitecore makes a decent product so I wouldn’t have concerns using one of those. Any reason why you want the battery rechargeable vs having a tiny charger to bring along?

I just looked at nitecores site and don’t see any batteries with built in usb charging. Can you post a link to which batteries you are referring to.

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Nitecore makes a decent product so I wouldn’t have concerns using one of those. Any reason why you want the battery rechargeable vs having a tiny charger to bring along?

I just looked at nitecores site and don’t see any batteries with built in usb charging. Can you post a link to which batteries you are referring to.

I guess why bring a charger in my pack if I don’t need to? It’s just extra weight at that point. I don’t like single purpose equipment, and bringing a charger in my pack just for my headlamp seems like a waste, if I can get a battery that doesn’t require it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR

twall13

WKR
My question is what scenario do you realistically think you'll find yourself in where you need to recharge an 18650 while in the field? I've been packing a spare 18650 for a few years now but I've yet to go through more than 1/4 of the first battery on a 5 day hunt so I decided to stop carrying the spare and just leave it at the truck. Of course I'm not running it on high nonstop but those batteries pack a pretty good punch. If I was blood trailing in the dark for several hours I guess I could see going through some battery on a higher mode but even then I think you could be smart and not run it dead. Maybe I'd want a backup on a 10+ day hunt but otherwise I'm convinced my one battery can get me through most any hunt I'll realistically do.

I understand a headlamp it's something you want to make sure has redundancy but the battery/charger may not be the best place to do that anyway. I always carry a Petzl E+Lite as an emergency backup in my bino harness just in case.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
My question is what scenario do you realistically think you'll find yourself in where you need to recharge an 18650 while in the field? I've been packing a spare 18650 for a few years now but I've yet to go through more than 1/4 of the first battery on a 5 day hunt so I decided to stop carrying the spare and just leave it at the truck. Of course I'm not running it on high nonstop but those batteries pack a pretty good punch. If I was blood trailing in the dark for several hours I guess I could see going through some battery on a higher mode but even then I think you could be smart and not run it dead. Maybe I'd want a backup on a 10+ day hunt but otherwise I'm convinced my one battery can get me through most any hunt I'll realistically do.

I understand a headlamp it's something you want to make sure has redundancy but the battery/charger may not be the best place to do that anyway. I always carry a Petzl E+Lite as an emergency backup in my bino harness just in case.

I had my headlamp accidentally turn on in my pack this year. When I was quartering my ram at dusk on the cliff band, it was a bad time to discover my headlamp was dead. I had to charge it with my battery pack so I could finish. Occasions like this, make me want to carry either a spare battery or a way to charge it. You have a valid point, but I still think I want a way to charge in the field. I’ve not used an 18650 battery before, so I maybe severely underestimating how long they last.

twall13

WKR
I can understand that sentiment, especially where you've already experienced a discharge in the pack. I always unscrew my zebra 1/4 twist to avoid that very issue but even so it could happen if I got careless. Best of luck playing around with the new setup, I've been seriously impressed with my zebra and 18650 batteries.

I run a surefire batteries. At bit spendy but I trust them.

FWIW I have yet to run an 18650 down as well but I had one fail on me. Fortunately I always carry a spare battery and a backup light.

Another option is to check out the Olight headlamps. They use a magnetic USB cord/charger that connects to the headlamp. It weighs hardly anything and works extremely well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR

ericF

WKR

Sounds like OP found his battery so not completely derailing the thread, but what setting are you guys running the Zebralight on? From their spec sheet, here are the hours per lumen that you can expect. Everybody says the 18650 is amazing and they always have tons of juice left, but it seems like you would use well over half a battery at least if you ran 2 hours per day at 56.4 lumens and an additional hour or two per night at a lower setting and some short bursts at a higher setting for a 5 day hunt.

• Medium: M1 127 Lm (13.8 hrs) or M2 56.4 Lm (28 hrs)/22.9 Lm (2.8 days)/8.5 Lm (7.3 days)

twall13

WKR
I'm typically on the lower medium setting most of the time, sometimes a lower setting later at night. When I use the high settings it's usually just to check something for a few seconds here and there though it's awesome for blood trailing in a pinch (that would drain the battery faster). I doubt I'm running it on medium for 2 hours per day but definitely more than an hour a day. I did a 4 day backpacking trip a few years ago where I took my 8 year old son on his first trip. To make him more comfortable each night I left it on all night on the lowest setting as a sort of night light for him, so 3 nights at 8 plus hours per night plus normal use on medium, etc. and still had more than half the battery left at the end of the trip.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk