USB Rechargeable Batteries/Power Management?

22lr

WKR
Hey all, looking at some of these new rechargeable batteries that recharge via a micro-USB connection. Anyone have experience running these? My thought is basically this. I have a solar panel, and it's going on my trip regardless for my GPS, so to me it makes sense that id just run rechargeable batteries, and having the USB recharging option means the charger is going to weigh just a few grams (maybe a 4" cord).

But when I look around, I'm not seeing alot of options for these batteries, outside of a few very sketchy looking options on Amazon. Anyone have luck running these batteries and could recommend a brand? Specifically in the AA or AAA sizes?

Second question would be, if these are not a great option, what kind of chargers do people take with them? My backup would be a regular battery charger (as lightweight as I can find).

I realize my solar panel is a very slow charge solution, but im not trying to live in the backwoods forever, just buy that much more life for the batteries I do bring and use.

Beendare

WKR
I gave up on my Goal Zero....too slow.

Now I just do backup batteries I can charge ahead of time....or from a truck, quad, side by side.

Its important to match the solar panel to the source as not all batteries will charge from some of the lower output panels.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I too gave up on solar. It’s just too unpredictable, and when it does work it’s too slow. Maybe that’s due to me being in Alaska where the sun angle is so low, but I’ve never been able to get a useful charge rate out of it.

I use USB battery packs exclusively. I have a 10 Ah (amp-hour) and 6 Ah pack, and bring one or both depending on my needs. There’s no weight penalty to me at all, because if I were using the panel it would be hooked up to one of these packs charging in an optimal, static position back at camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a “biolite solar 10+” last year in AK and it did really well. I tried the goal zero for years and had sworn off any solar until I was with someone using the biolite and was blown away with how well it did even with overcast skies. I run an anker as a battery pack as well.

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
I ran a “biolite solar 10+” last year in AK and it did really well. I tried the goal zero for years and had sworn off any solar until I was with someone using the biolite and was blown away with how well it did even with overcast skies. I run an anker as a battery pack as well.

Looks like an interesting option, ill have to give that a look.

Thanks all!

i run a couple different setups

dark energy poseidon

or

i run this charger from countycomm with a few 18650’s

the charger will charge a battery and give a charge to a device from an 18650 or other rechargeables and it doesn’t weigh much more than a cable.

olight makes a similar charger but it isn’t bidirectional.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
On a side note, does anyone have a good backcountry charger for Apple Watch?

OP
22lr

22lr

WKR
i run a couple different setups

dark energy poseidon

or

i run this charger from countycomm with a few 18650’s

the charger will charge a battery and give a charge to a device from an 18650 or other rechargeables and it doesn’t weigh much more than a cable.

olight makes a similar charger but it isn’t bidirectional.

Nice find, thats about as basic as you can get, love it!

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Everything I carry is USB rechargeable except my rangefinder and the firedot on my scope. If I am out less than a week it doesn't make sense for me to take a solar panel. Two 10k mAh batteries weigh less than a solar panel. I can get 5+ full phone charges out of the two battery packs.

Marshmi

FNG
I too gave up on solar. It’s just too unpredictable, and when it does work it’s too slow. Maybe that’s due to me being in Alaska where the sun angle is so low, but I’ve never been able to get a useful charge rate out of it.

I use USB battery packs exclusively. I have a 10 Ah (amp-hour) and 6 Ah pack, and bring one or both depending on my needs. There’s no weight penalty to me at all, because if I were using the panel it would be hooked up to one of these packs charging in an optimal, static position back at camp.

You can get lightweight power banks on amazon cheap
Any recs? Anker? Aukey? Tempted to go to a 10/10Ah setup instead of 20Ah for versatility.

gelton

WKR
Any recs? Anker? Aukey? Tempted to go to a 10/10Ah setup instead of 20Ah for versatility.
Anker or RavPower according to all of the reviews...I have a Dark Energy Poseiden and despise it...it takes forever to charge.

Look for one that supports USB-C (several different names for it) but cuts down charging time of the battery pack significantly.

Marshmi

FNG
Anker or RavPower according to all of the reviews...I have a Dark Energy Poseiden and despise it...it takes forever to charge.

Look for one that supports USB-C (several different names for it) but cuts down charging time of the battery pack significantly.
Thanks, yea usb C looks clutch, especially since charging time seems to be what most find fault with