Used Archery Equip: Where to Start?

OutdoorAg

WKR
I've been buying used guns and used optics for years and years. I feel very comfortable purchasing second hand rifles and glass, but I'm not nearly as seasoned in searching for and buying used archery equip.

I'm about a decade behind in bow technology, and of course - a decade behind in pricing. Today's bows are just insanely expensive, IMO, and I can't justify going new.

So for someone like myself...where does one start with finding quality used archery gear? I'm talking the big stuff - bows, sights, releases, etc. Forums to trust, forums to avoid? Places to look on-line? And where is the bow sweet spot - meaning - how far back does one go to stay within the new bow tech, but price is right bc of depreciation. Two years? Three?

Thanks for any suggestions and advice you can give. I tend to buy quality equipment, so I'm not looking for cheap. I just don't want to be the guy to drive the new truck off the lot, so to speak.

You'll find the best classifieds on ArcheryTalk. Also check Facebook marketplace and Craigslist for local deals as you can meet up at a shop and have them inspect the bow prior to purchasing. For other things like sights and accessories, I've always been happy with Ebay if you're not finding what you need on a forum.

Archery Talk has some good deals from time to time but you can usually find quality accessories for a decent price.

Do not post a "want to buy" add. There have been several scammers targeting AT wtb ads for the last couple months after the new ownership took over. The feedback system was wiped out and now guys are falling prey to a good deal and unscrupulous people.

What type of bow and accessories are you looking for? We can probably point you in the right direction.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Fairly easy to trust, as long as one takes the appropriate steps to verify the seller, the goods, etc?
They have a good feedback system so you can buy from people with a history. Ebay would also probably be fine if you watch the feedback. I have bought bows off eBay.

Just read the post above about the feedback being lost. That makes things more difficult. You can usually watch the joined date and post count to find people that have been around a while and more trustworthy.

Also, as stated dont post want to buy adds. They are magnets for scammers.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
What type of bow and accessories are you looking for? We can probably point you in the right direction.

Good question.

Primary use is whitetail hunting.

Secondary use is weekly shooting to show my kids the archery world.

Tertiary use will be big game hunting trips.

I've got a decade of archery under my belt, but wanting to improve my equipment to meet up with todays quieter bows. Faster is find and dandy, but I'm always shocked how quiet and accurate todays bows are. For reference, I have a 11 year old Fred Bear compound that I bought online.

Brand wise, I'm not brand loyal. Anything quality. My buddies shoot matthews. The fit and finish looks fantastic, but I could care less about the brand name. A good bow is a good bow. Same for components.

TX_Diver

WKR
Don't rule out one of last years models at a local bow shop either.

Many list new bows at 20-30% off putting "flagship bows" in the $700 range. (YMMV. One local shop here still has a Carbon Defiant for $100 off whatever retail was like 5 years ago or whenever that bow came out, but another was selling last years carbon Hoyts for almost 40% off to clear them out! Shop around a bit.)

Rob5589

WKR
Archerytalk for sure. I have purchased two used bows and the transactions were perfect.
I would look at various bows that spec the way you prefer. Then dig around the AT classifieds. If you see something interesting, it is pretty easy to do a Google search and find reviews, videos, etc to help you decide if it's something you want to try.
Depending on age and use, figure in the cost of new strings and install, if you do not diy. That could add 100-200 on top of the bows price.
Sights are pretty easy, pick what you like and buy.
Buying a used release could save you some cash. Lots of folks catch and release as they figure out what they prefer.

Keep in mind few companies will do much in terms of warranty on equipment that isn't the original buyer. When purchasing used it's a risk. I just purchased an Elite from a shop in Kentucky. They had sent me pictures however once I had the bow in hand I saw the lower limbs had splits in it. Luckily this was an Elite from when they had a full lifetime warranty that transferred. They sent new limbs at no cost. Last set of limbs I replaced on a Hoyt were north of $200. I think Mathews are $230-250. So some deals can be had on used bows, bit I'd weigh the costs of possible issues as well. For someone who isn't really familiar with what they are looking at new old stock from a local shop might be better. Limb problems aren't terribly infrequent. Also a single drop can bend a cam, they aren't cheap either. Some models don't have much draw length adjustment, again replacement cams can be pricey.

Sights and other things I'm not nearly as concerned with. Used bows need to be a pretty good deal. You can watch eBay auctions to get an idea of prices, search completed auctions to see what they sold for.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’ve bought and sold several bows on eBay over the years. Only had a issue once, wrong draw weight and splintered limb. Contacted the seller and PayPal and returned the bow for a full refund, shipping and all.
If you don’t know how to set a bow up, take it to a good shop and expect to pay a small fee for their service. After all, you didn’t buy it there.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
- how far back does one go to stay within the new bow tech, but price is right bc of depreciation. Two years? Three?
That just depends on what you're looking for in a bow. My 2006 Bowtech is only 9fps slower than my newer PSE, so speed really isn't an issue. The biggest difference is the newer split limbs versus solid limbs. But my 2007 Bowtech has split limbs so not much difference there. It's all about feel with a bow, that's why it's hard to shop sight unseen without being able to try the bow out first.

satchamo

WKR
Archery Talk has some good deals from time to time but you can usually find quality accessories for a decent price.

Do not post a "want to buy" add. There have been several scammers targeting AT wtb ads for the last couple months after the new ownership took over. The feedback system was wiped out and now guys are falling prey to a good deal and unscrupulous people.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I literally had 2 attempts sent to me today on a wtb ad I posted. Both had 0 posts and wanted me to text them. I immediately threw a red flag.

My advice is look at their post history and don’t text - keep it on PMs and you’ll be safe. I’ve bought and sold 10-15 bows and i don’t even want to think about what else I’ve done as far as accessories and arrows go.

Badseed

WKR
I got the archery bug about 10 years ago and never looked back. Everything I bought the first 5 years was purchased second hand because I had no idea what I liked or needed. I have purchased multiple bows and equipment from AT members and have always had great experiences. I tend to look at the persons previous posts to determine if they are legit before sending any funds. As far as components go there are a few reputable companies where you can purchase new equipment for slightly more than used. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve bought a handful of used bows from here and AT along with dozens of accessories and haven’t had a bad experience. I feel more confident buying from Rokslide but AT definitely has better archery related listings