Used Hobart vs. New LEM

Rs3003

WKR
I’m looking into buying a larger meat grinder. I have contacted a couple people selling USED Hobart grinders. I can get a NEW LEM #12 for about the same price as a Used Hobart. I’m worried the used Hobart will run great without a load on it and I’ll have to buy more parts after first use. Where the new LEM is NEW with a 5 year warranty. Which one would you purchase?

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you are grinding year round, I don't think there is anything wrong with the LEM. I have used them and they are great. A 5 year warranty would be hard to pass up.

Trial153

WKR
not sure what you mean by run great without a load?

A number 12 neck is small neck with retail motors and not really suited for anything but home based work. If you get a number 12 neck with .75 or 1 HP motor retail type grinder like the Lem it will most likely do everything you need it and then some.
Hobart is the industry standard when it comes to commercial grinders. I have free standing Hobart with a number 32 neck, its about 20 years old, I want to say it has 3 or 5 hp motor on it. Unless you doing some commercial work its too much grinder for home use.

The table top Hobart's are fantastic machines, however unless they are being used daily I don't think you can justify the cost vs use. That said I can see buying on if you want it.

Wrench

WKR
I'd personally try to hold out for a #22 neck at a minimum. The extra throat is so much easier if you double grind and in a 1 hp (real 1 hp....not the Chinese ones that weigh 12 pounds) you can't feed it fast enough to bog it.

I use a 1 hp for our processing and never fire up the big Hobart......and we tend to make it work.20161030_161951.jpg20191102_193942.jpg

Buzby

WKR
Never used a hobart, but I have a .5hp #8 LEM. It has exceeded my expectations. I can’t feed it fast enough. Accessories are another thing to consider. LEM makes a lot of attachments for their grinders.

• Banned
OP
R

Rs3003

WKR
Never used a hobart, but I have a .5hp #8 LEM. It has exceeded my expectations. I can’t feed it fast enough. Accessories are another thing to consider. LEM makes a lot of attachments for their grinders.
I do like the accessories for the LEM. I grind about 3 deer a year now. But in the near future my 2 sons will start hunting so that will probably mean more deer.

• Banned
OP
R

Rs3003

WKR
not sure what you mean by run great without a load?

A number 12 neck is small neck with retail motors and not really suited for anything but home based work. If you get a number 12 neck with .75 or 1 HP motor retail type grinder like the Lem it will most likely do everything you need it and then some.
Hobart is the industry standard when it comes to commercial grinders. I have free standing Hobart with a number 32 neck, its about 20 years old, I want to say it has 3 or 5 hp motor on it. Unless you doing some commercial work its too much grinder for home use.

The table top Hobart's are fantastic machines, however unless they are being used daily I don't think you can justify the cost vs use. That said I can see buying on if you want it.
What I mean by “with a load “ is it’ll sound great with out meat running through. And once the meat starts going through the motor slips or trips a circuit because of bad gears or bad motor.

Trial153

WKR
I have seen 20 plus year old Hobart's in meat rooms running strong as the day were new. My free standing Hobart will grind anything you push can fit in the hopper.
I would buy the machine that suits your needs. Three or five deer year or less than a few days work in most meat rooms. So it doesn't sound like you need any even close to a commercial grade grinder.

Unless you are planning on running all of the meat from your deer thru the grinder? It sounds to me like a commercial grinder would be a bit overkill. On the Hobart is it a freestanding model? Unless you have a dedicated butcher room you may be spending more time setting it up than running it. Don’t get me wrong I am a guy that always wants the biggest baddest whatever out there. A friend of mine has a freestanding Hobart that is in his garage. I was debating getting one like him or a LEM #32. After reading the reviews and my wife asking why I was planning on spending so much on a grinder. I went with the LEM #12. It is the perfect size. You can’t feed it fast enough.
It’s big enough that you and your buddies can grind all of your deer over a couple of beers out in the garage and small enough to bring out to make a small run of brauts in the kitchen just because. And it fits in a kitchen cabinet.

OP
R

Rs3003

WKR
Unless you are planning on running all of the meat from your deer thru the grinder? It sounds to me like a commercial grinder would be a bit overkill. On the Hobart is it a freestanding model? Unless you have a dedicated butcher room you may be spending more time setting it up than running it. Don’t get me wrong I am a guy that always wants the biggest baddest whatever out there. A friend of mine has a freestanding Hobart that is in his garage. I was debating getting one like him or a LEM #32. After reading the reviews and my wife asking why I was planning on spending so much on a grinder. I went with the LEM #12. It is the perfect size. You can’t feed it fast enough.
It’s big enough that you and your buddies can grind all of your deer over a couple of beers out in the garage and small enough to bring out to make a small run of brauts in the kitchen just because. And it fits in a kitchen cabinet.
The Hobart is a table top 1/2hp model 4312. I’m leaning more towards the LEM #12. A little under $500 for either unit.

danarnold

WKR
5eb98e90bff5d36c41dac1444f3366d0.jpg

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. I have a 1HP Cabelas Commercial grinder that is a #22. It is big, but storable. For someone who is going to do home processing for themselves and some friends it is all you will ever need. All of the commercial grade grinders this size that I have used have been well built units that will probably last a lifetime.

Buzby

WKR
only three deer a year, #8 LEM would be plenty. I only do 1-2, but have never wanted more out of my grinder. I had wanted the #12, but the #8 was on sale, so it was significantly cheaper. I don’t regret the #8 in the slightest. Doing the grinds is by far the quickest part of my processing.

Cheesehead

Lil-Rokslider
I’m super biased. I work for ITW (Illinois Tool Works), which owns Hobart. I will say this...I’ve seen a ton of Hobart products that are 50+ years old and still working well. We make great shit in the US (Troy OH for Hobart) and I’d say if you want something that is going to last you can’t go wrong with our stuff. I love working for a company where I can say that. Either way, good luck mate. Happy New Year.

jmcd22

WKR
only three deer a year, #8 LEM would be plenty. I only do 1-2, but have never wanted more out of my grinder. I had wanted the #12, but the #8 was on sale, so it was significantly cheaper. I don’t regret the #8 in the slightest. Doing the grinds is by far the quickest part of my processing.

I second this with the #8. I bought one this year to process a deer and it didnt miss a beat. I wanted the .75hp model but didnt have the extra money. After using the .5hp, I am glad I didnt over indulge.