used inreach, locked IMEI

i bought a used inreach off ebay for a really good price but when i went to activiate it the IMEI is locked. anyone dealt with this issue before. my guess is the person who originally activated it has to unlock it or something. my fear is the guy on ebay i bought it from is some sort of used goods dealer and not the original user. can garmin unlock these things or should i just start trying to get a refund?

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
From the Garmin website:

My new device will not activate because it is ‘Locked’, what should I do?

Please call inReach Billing at 1-800-511-2459 Monday-Friday 9am-6pm EST or email us at [email protected]. We can further discuss with you why your device IMEI is locked. If you purchased a device used and the IMEI is locked, please immediately seek a refund or attempt to return the device.

My buddy has run into this situation before. Bought a unit from the cabelas bargain cave and it was locked by the previous owner. The PO purchased it, tried it, and returned to store before he killed the acct. Took a couple of weeks to get it straightened out. They had to attempt to reach the current acct holder and ask them to cancel service. If the previous acct holder can’t be reached or won’t take the time to cancel then they have to wait a certain amount of time before they will terminate service from their end. Overall comms with Delorme/Garmin were excellent and it was handled as appropriately as possible given the circumstances. More of a time hassle than anything else. That’s probably why they recommend returning it vs going thru the hassle on their end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. you'll have to work with the previous owner and Garmin to resolve.
Long story short you will have to call Garmin and they will tell you how to resolve.
Their tech-CS on these things is top shelf and they are well versed in this problem.