Used Rem 700 ADL Feeding Problems

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
New guy looking to finally go elk hunting next year so I pulled out my .300 win mag to shoot over the weekend. I forgot why I never use it. I bought it used from Cabela's on a good deal, but it seems maybe it was returned for a reason? When I load shells there is a lot of slop in the blind magazine so I can push the bullets too far back in which case the bolt will not pick them up to feed. I am worried I would have this issue after hiking around in the woods if I have issues sitting at a bench. Is this an easily fixed issue? Or do I need to trade it back in for something more reliable?

cooperjd

WKR
pull the stock, does the mag box have a little tab with a screw hole in it so it can screw into the bottom of the action? I "think" my one adl has that feature, and should take out the slop. maybe the little screw is missing, if they still build them that way.

I would reach out to Remington and see if they would have their smiths look at it. Most times sometime like a defect they will ship and fix it on them. Did this with a muzzle loader and Thompson fixed and shipped it at no cost

or see if they would send a new spring for the box mag

OP
SirChooCH

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled the stock and the small screw is there and tight. I think it is the spring that is an issue, when I cycle rounds they aren't popping up exactly into the right place/angle to be fed by the bolt. I will reach out for a replacement.

If not, it looks like my next option is either swap it for a magpul bottom metal and stock or else trade it in and trade up the same amount of money puts me at maybe a Tikka.

Apollo117

WKR
Try stretching the follower spring. Take it in your hands and just pull on it gently. Try not to bend the ends of the spring. I've had success doing this on a few Savage blind magazines.

OP
SirChooCH

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Okay I tried hand stretching, not sure if I need to stretch it farther or how hard I should pull that sucker? But light pulling didn’t help. Here are some photos of the issue, it’s like it’s too sloppy so the round can be tilted forward or back and not get picked up by the bolt. And this happens randomly which I would prefer it to never jam.

Attachments

• 42611E01-6283-42B3-98E9-C650C3D6801D.jpeg
    42611E01-6283-42B3-98E9-C650C3D6801D.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 29
  • 2256E652-9AE8-42BD-B32F-430D88500ECA.jpeg
    2256E652-9AE8-42BD-B32F-430D88500ECA.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 29

Apollo117

WKR
Okay I tried hand stretching, not sure if I need to stretch it farther or how hard I should pull that sucker? But light pulling didn’t help. Here are some photos of the issue, it’s like it’s too sloppy so the round can be tilted forward or back and not get picked up by the bolt. And this happens randomly which I would prefer it to never jam.

You should stretch the spring until it's noticably longer.

This might be a magazine box binding issue. Take all the bullets out of the magazine. Then with your thumb, work the follower and spring up and down slowly. Feel for the follower catching on anything, side of the magazine, feed ramp, etc. You may have to do this with the rifle assembled and disassembled (i.e. just the mag box, follower, and spring in your hands). Actually, it's probably best to do this both with the rifle assembled and disassembled. Sometimes pressure from the action or stock causes the mag box to buckle inwards and bind the follower. You may feel the binding while assembled but not when disassembled.

Let us know how it goes.

Some good advice already given above. In your picture the follower isn’t all the way seated into the action feed rails either. Be sure the spring is correctly installed on the follower also. Seat it towards the rear of the follower and make sure it’s the correct end of the spring. It could be backwards. The spring should look like a big W also.

OP
SirChooCH

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
@SirChooCH did you ever get your feed issue fixed?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I fixed it by getting a savage 110 lol. I didn't want to have that issue in my head when I'm about to pull the trigger and be anxious about a follow up.

I believe since the mag box is aligned it is an issue with the spring stretch as others mentioned. I just can't figure out the hand stretch amount I guess. Still have it but plan on trading it in toward another rifle. Had my first kid recently so haven't had the time to do so yet

A few important ADL/blind mag tips for anyone that finds this post:

1. If you don't have the assembly right, it won't feed right. Make certain you have the right box, follower and spring. Make sure the top of the box is pinched and seated into the receiver after you secure the little attachment screw.

2. Make sure you file the bottom of the mag box so it's completely clear from touching the bottom of the stock's blind mag floor. You don't want any binding and you don't want to accidentally push the box through the floor when you tighten the action screws.

3. Center and secure the bottom of the follower spring with two pieces of Gorilla tape. If the spring base isn't sitting right, the upward follower tension won't be even, causing misalignment/poor feeding.

IMG_8143.JPG

Hope this helps!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
A few important ADL/blind mag tips for anyone that finds this post:

1. If you don't have the assembly right, it won't feed right. Make certain you have the right box, follower and spring. Make sure the top of the box is pinched and seated into the receiver after you secure the little attachment screw.

2. Make sure you file the bottom of the mag box so it's completely clear from touching the bottom of the stock's blind mag floor. You don't want any binding and you don't want to accidentally push the box through the floor when you tighten the action screws.

3. Center and secure the bottom of the follower spring with two pieces of Gorilla tape. If the spring base isn't sitting right, the upward follower tension won't be even, causing misalignment/poor feeding.

View attachment 271640

Hope this helps!
@Hill Difficulty I assume that the spring be centered in the bottom of feed ramp?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

@Hill Difficulty I assume that the spring be centered in the bottom of feed ramp?
Do you mean follower in relation to the feed ramp?

The key is to tape/secure the bottom of follower spring in the center of the box bottom opening. That way all the corresponding parts are being pushed into the right places. On a 700, the follower will fit perfect and level in the area under the receiver and bolt, so the tip of the top-most bullet will already be sitting high toward the feed ramp, eliminating a bad feed.

It's a great/bombproof design, just have to have it all assembled correctly.

OP
SirChooCH

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I might try that tape fix and see what happens.

I bought this off a used rack at Cabela's so I figure this is the reason it was returned there

Send me a PM if you need any help or want me to provide any photos of the spring and follower orientation.

Note: The first bend at the bottom of the follower spring should be at the rear end of the magazine.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Send me a PM if you need any help or want me to provide any photos of the spring and follower orientation.

Note: The first bend at the bottom of the follower spring should be at the rear end of the magazine.
@Hill Difficulty I've been battling a feeding problem with the second round since my smith squared the action and rebarrelled.
28325b644907b790b16fc499f1eb7611.jpg
c4773569ff30c7e39bbdbd30da6cbcfd.jpg

You'll notice the spring is pushed completely forward is this correct or does the spring need centered?
Do you possibly have a picture of the correct spring placement? I'm not sure if it's backwards not centered or what exactly.

You'll notice the spring is pushed completely forward is this correct or does the spring need centered?
Do you possibly have a picture of the correct spring placement? I'm not sure if it's backwards not centered or what exactly.

See two photos:

This photos shows two long action mag box assemblies, a 240W (same as 30-06 parts) and a 7RM. All parts correspond to a bullet facing right. Both represent how the spring should appear while relaxed, including orientation and how the spring attaches to the follower.
IMG_8148.JPG

This photo shows how the spring should sit in the follower slot.
IMG_8150.JPG

It's obvious that your spring is pushed too far to the front of the follower.

This solves one issue, anyway. :)

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Hill Difficulty the 700 ADL gets so little love not many pictures of there of the magazine and follower set up correctly. I knew the parts were correct as I've had them since 1990 when the rifle was new. Not sure the how or why the spring was moved but it was frustrating trying to figure out.
Thank you for the detailed pictures exactly what I needed to know. I pushed the spring closer to the rear of the follower and it seems load correctly now.
3c126d3c1893f1f1221052f34a57566c.jpg

Last edited: