Used Tacoma

N2TRKYS

WKR
I was gonna buy a new Tacoma a couple of years ago, but bought a new 4Runner instead. I don't regret the purchase at all.

If I had towing in my future plans, I would buy at least a half ton pickup.

fatlander

WKR
I love my 4 door Tacoma. Wouldn’t trade it for world for hunting around here. Anymore than 5 hours drive and/or more than 2 guys, you need a full size truck in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'06 TRD off road with 330k. I've replaced the driveshaft/u-joints a couple times. They were lasting about 90k if I was doing more creek crossings or playing in the mud and sand. Last longer if I keep them clean. Have replaced 3 of 4 wheel bearings, one twice. Have replaced front axles once or twice. Rear drums lasted 220k. That all seems like normal wear and tear to me.

Sending unit is malfunctioning, now I just monitor my mileage between fill ups, not a big deal.

Toyota replaced the frame for me for free (and a bunch of other stuff while they were at it) a couple years ago.

The bed has just barely started to squeak and there is a low hum at idle RPM coming from under the hood somewhere, just something needs tightened, but other than that it still runs like it's new and I love it. At this pace I'm pretty certain I can get 400k and maybe more.

Just this weekend I towed a UTV on a trailer. Got about 10mpg and could maintain 75 on flat ground without it kicking down to third gear on the gentle slopes. Could have towed it at 80 but I don't trust the trailer enough yet (new to me).

Soon this truck won't be my daily driver, will be retired to 'hunting rig' status and I intend to sink some money into it for proper tires and an extra leaf spring and maybe a lift. I wouldn't do that if I didn't think it was an awesome truck for what I do.

Other minor problems have been the latch on the center console broke some time back, and the digital temp readout died at around 50,000 miles.

You can fix that temp readout pretty easily, it's just a little surface mount resistor that has come loose, common issue. Take it apart and you'll see it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have had four tacos since the 80s current one not used much other than hunting and shed hunting 2006 with 83k miles likely be driving it when I’m 70🥳 brother has had 2 tacos and drives them hard does nothing and goes and goes the pops has a tundra for towing and just sold his 90s taco with 240k for $7500 crazy resale on these things basically low maintenance do well in mountains avg mileage and good resale no complaints from my family on tacos👍487D79F7-8DAF-4CDB-851C-F86EA3FFAA72.png

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
I've had nothing but tacomas for the last 20 years. I have gotten 350,000+ miles out of 2 of them and the 3rd is approaching 290,000. The TRD off road package is something I could't do without. The push button locking rear differential has saved me from needing to chain up to get out of something so many times I can't stand being off road without it. Pulled many a full size trucks out of the snow with it. With the 2.7 V4 manual I average 23.5 mpg. The 4.0 V6 manual I had averaged 12 mpg with no noticeable difference in power.

Last edited:

Ray

WKR
Another comment on the 4 door 2005 and newer Tacos - there is not much foot room in the rear. Both my rental kids are giants compared to my bio kid. A 6 hour trip in the winter to Fairbanks cramped the two giants up pretty good. Watching them stagger around at 40 below in the snow was pretty funny. The trip home we had to take two breaks to let them out and stretch.

My 6'2" dad with his size 12 boots struggles to get in and out of the back seat.

The cab of the 4 door is probably smaller than a Honda Accord, no joke. With two young kids I have finally taught my wife how to pack only the necessities.

ODB

WKR
I was gonna buy a new Tacoma a couple of years ago, but bought a new 4Runner instead. I don't regret the purchase at all.

If I had towing in my future plans, I would buy at least a half ton pickup.

I’m bouncing between a 4Runner and tundra... the tundra is just so damn big and the 4Runner does t have a bed. I like the Tacoma, but kinda want more room for trips. The wife’s Highlander needs a backup...

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’m bouncing between a 4Runner and tundra... the tundra is just so damn big and the 4Runner does t have a bed. I like the Tacoma, but kinda want more room for trips. The wife’s Highlander needs a backup...

If you don't already have a truck, I would go with the Tundra. I've got an '03 Chevy 2500HD diesel sitting in my driveway, so going the 4Runner route was an easier pill to swallow.

ODB

WKR
If you don't already have a truck, I would go with the Tundra. I've got an '03 Chevy 2500HD diesel sitting in my driveway, so going the 4Runner route was an easier pill to swallow.

I do...a 2002 Tundra that I bought brand new. 202k miles. Just not sure I want 3 cars...

N2TRKYS

WKR
I do...a 2002 Tundra that I bought brand new. 202k miles. Just not sure I want 3 cars...

I understand. I bought my truck new in '03 and have 230K on it. Figured I wouldn't get anything for mine, so it was worth keeping it for me.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
Another comment on the 4 door 2005 and newer Tacos - there is not much foot room in the rear. Both my rental kids are giants compared to my bio kid. A 6 hour trip in the winter to Fairbanks cramped the two giants up pretty good. Watching them stagger around at 40 below in the snow was pretty funny. The trip home we had to take two breaks to let them out and stretch.

My 6'2" dad with his size 12 boots struggles to get in and out of the back seat.
This is what I am most curious about as I'm 6'4" - 220. I plan to run to a stealership here soon and scope them out and maybe drive a newer one just to get a feel for whether I need full size.

My kids are very young still so this vehicle probably wouldn't be around long enough to see long legs. Just car seats for now!!!

Last edited:

Mutto

FNG
This is what I am most curious about as I'm 6'4" - 220. I plan to run to a stealership here soon and scope them out and maybe drive a newer one just to get a feel for whether I need full size.

My kids are very young still so this vehicle probably wouldn't be around long enough to see long legs. Just car seats for now!!!

Car seats in the large cab tacoma is difficult. Also consider that they will be forward facing in a booster for a long time. Since u say 2 kids that means not much space driver and passengers seats to go back
when kids in their seats. I have on and sits in middle rear. They are good trucks. But car seats was an after thought on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live inland from Los Angelesabout 60 or so miles. Tacomas are gold here and their prices no matter what age or condition show it. I went with a Tundra Crewmax in 2017 and love the truck. No regrets at all the difference in gas mileage and cab space were my concerns plus having the ability to tow without issue.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
I'm all for buying used. When I looked at a used Tacoma, I was blown away with used Tacoma prices... especially a 4x4. I'm not paying $20k for a clapped out truck.

If you can live with a lower trim level, do your homework, and are willing to travel, you can get a deal on a new one for not much more.