USGI...for the money what's better?

sootrat

FNG
I plan on taking a couple short trips a year in the fall of Wisconsin. For the money would you suggest anything better than the USGI sleeping bag? Thanks!

For truck camping it’s fine. But for what they go for you are much better off with commercial options. Wiggy’s for one. USGI is HEAVY.

Drenalin

WKR
If you find one in good shape, and you don't have to carry it, it's a decent system (or it was 15 years ago when I was still using it). The trick is to find one that hasn't been abused, stored improperly, etc.

22lr

WKR
Its a good system, but built for durability/longevity over weight and packability. Its painful to carry all the components but if you dont need the full kit you can shed a few pounds.

For $100 you can/could get something like a Kelty Galactic. I use one and for a budget bag, its pretty damn good. Its not gonna keep you comfortable at the temp rating, but add 5 degrees and it will be ok. The treated down helps stay warm when damp. Ill be looking to replace mine with a 0 degree bag, but for the price point its pretty solid and packs down much better than my USGI one.

You can’t do better for $100. However as said above that whole ECWCS system is +10# as I recall. Fine for car camping but for not a lot more money you can get something much lighter For backpacking.

montbell, north face and Nemo have good bags under $200.

snupak and wiggys make some cheaper but heavier bags that are super durable.

I would choose almost any synthetic sub $100 bag over a USGI, just based on weight. It’s not hard to find a 3lb or less bag rated to somewhere around 20-30 degrees for not much $$.

These guys as spot on, as former infantry Devildog I can tell you to chuck the bags and buy a new one, keep the goretex bivy if a gen 2 as they are not bad weight wise and are tougher than commercial ones.

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
It's hard to beat when you can pick up the complete system for under $100. I picked up a barely used complete system for $58.

Dog will hunt, dog will hunt.