Using a BDC in changing weather

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Hi mate

I have enjoyed your videos for a lot of years. But I am struggling to see the benefit of using a BDC over a straight MOA or MIL scope. Rather than doing some calculations to compensate with the BDC, wouldnt it be easier to range something, input the temp, altitude, etc variables into a ballistics engine and shoot?

Not trying to be argumentative, as clearly your process works for you. But would be interested to understand more of your thought process behind the use of the BDC.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
No not at all perceived as such, forums are a great place to exchange perspectives.

For me, the benefit is speed. My BDC is set up for my normal hunting area and hunting season.
So I laser the target and simply dial the range as told by the laser. No need to consult anything, just dial the range. It is only on the range my BDC is offset. (have filmed this explanation, not edited yet)

The weather check is just something I do once a week (also explained later, not edited) to make sure the weather is not outside BDC parameters. It rarely is as I don't travel much in elevation, maybe 3000 ft.

And if weather does change, instead of doing a consultation for each shot I know that on this trip I'm +1 or on top of the mountain I will be -1. Which is fairly fast to correct for when compared to a ballistic calculation in an app or similar.

If you have a tool similar to the Gunwerks rangefinder which gives you the firing solution, there's no real benfit. My laser only gives range.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Thomas

Thanks for the details. Definitely for hunting in a local area or very similar elevation / atmospherics, the BDC makes sense. Appreciate the answer and look forward to more of your video content.

davsco

WKR
first, i've never seen a bdc that actually aligns with the rifle/ammo trajectory. at least in my experience, always seems to be off a little if not a lot. so yeah it's easy enough to figure out holds (for example in one of my guns i have to hold halfway between 500 and 600 for a 500yd shot).

so shooting in my AO, that's fine. but if i take that rifle 2,000 miles west and 8k+ feet higher, drier, etc, then what are my bdc offset holds? seems harder to calculate/figure out/get precise than just a simple moa/mil scope.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I have the same issues with a BDC. To me it seems like a redundant concept. Unless you are in the same elevation and atmospherics the majority of the time.

I am very comfortable running the calculations for MOA / MIL (I use both), so will just stick with that. And I would recommend the same process to others. But I guess its good to have options.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
first, i've never seen a bdc that actually aligns with the rifle/ammo trajectory. at least in my experience, always seems to be off a little if not a lot.
That is an issue with setup, not an issue with the BDC.
If you apply the same tolerance to any ballistic solution, you will achive the same results, be that success or failure depending on tolerances applied.

Either option is just numbers on a turret that represent a value, the difference is the name. It does not change the mechanical function of the scope or the action required of the shooter to dial that scope. There's no difference in the calculations, the resulting numbers just have different names. And with this I can do precise calculations without a computer or app.

If you're looking for a better solution for a wider range of weather, something like the Gunwerks BR4 ballistic rangefinder collects all data at the press of a button and delivers a firing solution relevant to actual weather.

Here is a demonstration related to elevation and pressure. Next segment will touch a bit more on how to predict these changes ahead of time.

davsco

WKR
That is an issue with setup, not an issue with the BDC.
the whole purpose of a bdc, at least in my eyes. is to NOT have to dial. target is at or near 300, boom hold at the 3rd line and blast it.

but the bdc becomes especially complex when you leave your home conditions and are at 10k feet at 22 degrees f. at home the 5th line was 465 yards but where the heck do i hold now with the elk at 525 yards? of course you can do some math but it won't be nearly as precise as plugging the data into your phone's ballistic app and knowing that it's (for example) 20moa or 7 mils or whatever and simply holding or dialing that.

bottom line is each of us should use whatever works best for each of us. for me, a bdc scope is pretty much the worst solution if you're leaving your home conditions.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
the whole purpose of a bdc, at least in my eyes. is to NOT have to dial. target is at or near 300, boom hold at the 3rd line and blast it.

but the bdc becomes especially complex when you leave your home conditions and are at 10k feet at 22 degrees f. at home the 5th line was 465 yards but where the heck do i hold now with the elk at 525 yards? of course you can do some math but it won't be nearly as precise as plugging the data into your phone's ballistic app and knowing that it's (for example) 20moa or 7 mils or whatever and simply holding or dialing that.

bottom line is each of us should use whatever works best for each of us. for me, a bdc scope is pretty much the worst solution if you're leaving your home conditions.

Did you watch the first video?
He is dialing with a custom made turret for the meters to target.
not holding reticle subtensions.

You can also download StrelokPro, input good ballistic info and then it will show your scopes BDC with your actual drops with environmental factored in. Works great when I have tried it. StrelokPro has almost every reticle I’ve heard of available. Can even print it out and tape to the stock.

davsco

WKR
Did you watch the first video?
He is dialing with a custom made turret for the meters to target.
not holding reticle subtensions.
the only reason i'd use a bdc was to NOT dial, but for quick and easy holdovers. if one is dialing it doesn't matter what the reticle is.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

No. The purpose of a BDC turret or reticle is to remove one step of the shot process- that is converting a range to a Mil or MOA value (angular).

With an angular setup it goes: range, check drop chart, dial what drop chart says.

With BDC it goes: range, dial range.

Nothing about holding in a reticle setup in range is “easier” once people actually start using them. That is different than dialing a turret to a preset mark and aiming center. What he’s doing is eliminating the need for your phone app. It can be done in straight mils as well, however going to a straight range is quicker.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
the whole purpose of a bdc, at least in my eyes. is to NOT have to dial.
I see where the confusion is now. I didn't catch that you refered to reticles and you didn't catch I was referring to the turret (label).
I would agree. Also a truly precise BDC reticle can be difficult to manufacture if one want "economical industry". I.e. difficult to produce in a manner rational enough to make money.

Leupold once had a custom shop with that option (?), I believe that is gone. Perhaps with the new generation digital sights it will be an option, but then why not just deliver a complete firing solution.

4ester

WKR
I think there is a major disconnect in this thread between what the OP is calling BDC and what most of us are familiar with as a BDC reticle.

I think what the OP is referring to is the speed of a custom turret, and I’d totally agree out to about 600 yards. After that I think a guy should slow down and actually get a true firing solution with live atmospherics for a hunting situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

WKR
I think there is a major disconnect in this thread between what the OP is calling BDC and what most of us are familiar with as a BDC reticle.
the thread title is BDC but we're talking about turrets/dialing and not reticles? ok, nevermind, per emily latella...

260madman

WKR
Evidently nobody knows what a Leupold CDS turret is or the P5 dials on the Mark AR series. They’re BDCs.