Using a decoy

Brooks

WKR
I’ve never used a decoy to hunt elk but was thinking about buying a Montana decoy this year. There’s been a few times when I’ve been bow hunting by myself and called in a bull only to have him hang up looking for the cow and I have always thought a cow decoy would have probably brought him in for a shot. Anyone use a decoy ? How did it work ?

Swede

WKR
I have used a decoy some. They will not make up for a poor set up. Even though they see an elk they do not necessarily come in. I have had the critters come to a call and see the decoy. It is a real mixed bag from there. I can't say it ever improved my success.
I have had elk come and sniff the decoy. I have had them pass by and pretty much ignore it, and I have them come around and they were very nervous all the time. I have had them see the decoy and bolt at the first sight.
If they expect to see an elk, you should have a better chance with one, but they may just look from a distance and turn around. They may walk back and forth looking at your decoy then leave.
I would set up my decoy where I can get out front in a place where I will not be seen. Call from the decoy and move to your hidey hole and wait. If at all possible have the decoy behind you.
For you tree stand hunters: You are best served by leaving your decoy in camp. If you are in a good location the elk are coming when they see the decoy. At least half will leave upon seeing your elk.

Wrench

WKR
I have the Montana and heads up. The heads up has been carried around more due to size and weight.

The biggest problem is typically there's either no elk or elk coming and movement is risky.

So one wastes time and one risks getting busted.

If you had a dedicated caller then flashing the heads up could seal the deal.... but for a solo guy, I'd pass and spend that money on snickers bars.

TX_Diver

WKR
Decoy saved me a few years ago in NM.

We were slowly moving behind a decoy when an elk popped up over the hill. Didn't spook and slowly kept coming to where I could get a shot.

We were in the wide open so doubtful we would've had the same luck without it.

cnelk

WKR
Sometimes they work, most times 'eh'...

Its fun to mess with non-target elk when you can :)

Wapiti1

WKR
They are setup dependent. I almost always have one when solo hunting and use it 50/50.

It can be a great way to pull a bull to the side so you can get a shot. I set it up 20-50 yards behind and to the side, then setup to call. If it's too thick, it's not worth it. If you can see 50 yards, it's worth it.

Cows are hit or miss on them. If you are working a satellite, or early season bull, they can be money.

Like any strategy, you learn when it works and when it doesn't.

Jeremy

Whip

WKR
I've used them as above set up to the side and behind me. The problem comes when you need to relocate, which happens frequently in setups. Now do you go back to pick up the decoy and take precious time? Or leave it behind and come back to get it later?
With a caller he can take care of it easily, so works fine there. But when I'm solo although I've had it work, more often than not I'd rather go without.

To me they aren't worth the hassle of lugging around, setting up, and like Whip stated when its time to relocate I don't want to have to mess with folding the thing up etc.