Using a Range Card for Long Range Hunting

OP
Sam Millard
Thanks. Yes, I use nothing but Rite in the Rain books now. Normal paper gets torn up too easily. I have 5 full notebooks from past years, that I'll be able to pass down to my kids when they're ready. That stuff is tough!

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff, two drawbacks - you have to know how to draw and have to have enough time to bother. I would argue that spare batteries/kestrel, printed range card and having a mechanical inckinometer would do the trick. My single point of failure is my range finder, but I could always bring a spare :)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's excellent advice Sam...oddly enough I have drawn many range cards for work, but never a one for hunting. I can see the benefit of it hunting though.

OP
Sam Millard
Good stuff, two drawbacks - you have to know how to draw and have to have enough time to bother. I would argue that spare batteries/kestrel, printed range card and having a mechanical inckinometer would do the trick. My single point of failure is my range finder, but I could always bring a spare :)

Make no mistake; if I pop out at an overlook and spot a bear across the canyon, I don't draw him before I shoot him:) If I'm in a long range ambush, I'm usually there for quite a while before I start building a card. I also have some partial cards because I had to break away to take a shot.

Using range cards will teach you to look at a hillside a little differently. With some experience and attention to detail, a shot can be taken with only the information you've placed on the card.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Using range cards will teach you to look at a hillside a little differently. With some experience and attention to detail, a shot can be taken with only the information you've placed on the card.

I see your point. My tactic has been to practice LR angle shots a lot and measure/re-measure and double check 20 times if I have the time (and with LR most of the time you do, unless the game is on the mission and just passing through, in which case all you have is the time to check, dial and boom). I admire what you do, but for someone like me it is an absolute overkill.