Using a Seek Outside backpack without a Talon

Rokwiia

WKR
I ordered a custom 4,800 bag (camo X-33) and am awaiting its arrival. It will be used on an integrated system (versus breakaway).

I'm wondering if there are any downsides, or issues, if I do not use it with a Talon. Obviously, to compress the bag, I'll need to run long straps from one side to the other. Other than that, is there any reason not to run it clean with no Talon?

The talon just offers nice multi-point compression of the pack - plus a darn nice way to carry additional gear outside the bag. The talon is very nice if you want to carry/strap on game outside the bag. But outside of that, you should be fine, and you can accomplish compression, or attaching items outside of the bag, albeit less elegantly, with multiple straps.

Buzby

WKR
Do you need the extra storage? If not, don’t use it. There’s plenty of options for compression.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I would add a Merlin. Compresses the main bag and gives you quick access to small items. That’s how I carry my unaweep 4800.

mlgc20

WKR
I also ordered a custom 4800 integrated pack. But, in X-21. It should be shipping this week. I didn't get a Talon for it. I looked at it the way Buzby mentions above. I didn't need the extra storage. And it looks like it will compress just fine without the extra weight. Can always add it later if needed. Personally, I don't like the external lid/pocket thing. I always remove the lids from my packs. IMO, they add too much weight for the extra space and organization. Some people love them though. Personal preference.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Great ideas and thank you all. I have a Gila in X-21 and it is amazing. So light yet so strong. There were many positive reviews about X-33 that I found it difficult to resist so I ordered a bag in X-33. It is in process with SO and will likely be finished soon. I'm looking forward to it.

I agree that X-21 is amazing. So light and it does not feel much less rugged than my Revolution Fortress 6,300 in X-42.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
My spectra talon is 3.9 ounces. It is not needed, but between the bag and talon is a great place for wet gear.

I have to agree that lids are not worth much and I have largely stopped using them.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I use the top lid for things I need to access quickly such as medical supplies. The X-21 top lid weighs 3.2oz which is worth it to me for the access it provides. Having a zipper on the main bag can weigh that or more and I'd have to fish around for the items I'm looking for.

We're all creatures of habit and there's no or wrong here--just what works best for each one of us.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I always have a quart of Gatorade in the left-side pocket. I'm in an area that has water readily available, particularly streams and ponds, so I can filter additional water as I need it.

Boiserunr

FNG
I have a unaweep 6300 with a talon and a custom 4800 without. The talon is great if you want one easy access pocket or want it to compress a big game bag against the back of the pack. I run my packs about half the time with the talon and half without. If you have a way to carry all your gear and a way to haul out meat that you're happy with without the talon you won't need it. I am a gram counter and find that it's helpful if I use my 4800 custom pack for a backpacking trip as it allows me to have a little more room if I need it and it has a mesh back pocket to store anything that is wet, and since I don't have a brain top lid it is a place to put my small tripod and hygiene kit.