Using archery equipment on a muzzleloader tag, Colorado?

Curious question here. I grew up hunting Georgia where we have a one week long muzzleloader season that is between archery and rifle season. It is perfectly legal to hunt with a bow during that muzzleloader season. I assume being looked at as a lesser weapon?

If one was to pull a muzzleloader tag for elk in Colorado could you just hunt with a bow instead. It already overlaps the currently ongoing archery season so it only makes sense this would be legal. Not sure the regulations really spell it out as clearly as they should.

Has anyone ever done this in Colorado?
Are there other states this can be done as well?

Curious question here. I grew up hunting Georgia where we have a one week long muzzleloader season that is between archery and rifle season. It is perfectly legal to hunt with a bow during that muzzleloader season. I assume being looked at as a lesser weapon?

If one was to pull a muzzleloader tag for elk in Colorado could you just hunt with a bow instead. It already overlaps the currently ongoing archery season so it only makes sense this would be legal. Not sure the regulations really spell it out as clearly as they should.

Has anyone ever done this in Colorado?
Are there other states this can be done as well?
Not Legal. The tag specifically states what’s legal to use with that tag- muzzy, no scope, loose powder, no sabot. I don’t know any western state that allows it?

Now CO general season allows it, even scoped muzzleloaders with sabots, or even crossbows. I don’t think you can use a spear or atl atl though…..

Not legal for muzzleloader, if you draw a bow tag can only use bow, muzzleloader tag is muzzy only, rifle is any legal manor of take but still required to wear orange.
c2f12ac2a4e259e8ac975affd540e90f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
awbowhunter
Wonder what the reasoning for not allowing this? I would not suspect it in any way increases your success with said tag.

I also understand if your the one carrying muzzleloader your wearing orange...but archery hunters on same dates do not?

Jbehredt

WKR
I suspect it’s to keep bow hunters from applying for muzzleloader tags. The season dates are prime for archery and the tags require fewer points in a lot of cases. I’d imagine you can follow the money to the same place that puts muzzleloader season during the peak of the rut and in the middle of an archery season.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I suspect it’s to keep bow hunters from applying for muzzleloader tags. The season dates are prime for archery and the tags require fewer points in a lot of cases.
In most easy to draw ML units, the archery tags are OTC so it wouldn't make any sense to put in for the ML tag if you wanted to use a bow. In every archery draw unit I've ever looked at, it takes more points to draw the ML tag so again they'd be better off putting in for the archery tag.

However, there are some units that issue low point ML cow tags and don't offer any separate archery cow tags. In those cases, I don't see why they've made it illegal to use a bow.

However, there are some units that issue low point ML cow tags and don't offer any separate archery cow tags. In those cases, I don't see why they've made it illegal to use a bow.

You gotta remember the regs are already hard enough to comprehend for some, putting in little bylaws would just make it even more confusing.

They give you the option to use and legal method during rifle, so just leave the muzzy and bow tags alone IMO. I’d you wanna hunt with a bow during the muzzy season why wouldn’t you get a bow tag and hunt the week of muzzy? I’m kind of confused as to why you would want to draw the muzzy tag and use a bow when the coincide anyways, and you’ll have a tag worth a month vs 9 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
If you are in a unit that has B List cow tags, you could archery hunt a cow along with a ML tag - it would require 2 tags tho.

Felix40

WKR
Not Legal. The tag specifically states what’s legal to use with that tag- muzzy, no scope, loose powder, no sabot. I don’t know any western state that allows it?

Now CO general season allows it, even scoped muzzleloaders with sabots, or even crossbows. I don’t think you can use a spear or atl atl though…..
NM lets you bowhunt with a ML tag.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with some of the others....why would you want to draw a muzzy tag and hunt with a bow? Why not just get the archery tag? In most cases, or at least the units I'm familiar with, the archery tag is easier to get, has a longer season, and overlaps muzzleloader. I could be missing something I guess....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

In the case of Colorado’s reissue list, I’ve seen tags pop up that were muzzy tags that I would totally snag if I could hunt with a bow. Unfortunately I don’t own a muzzleloader so I passed. For that very specific case I wish they would allow use of a bow on a muzzy tag.

OP
awbowhunter
I asked the question because I did not draw my 1st choice unit for archery this year. There are ML tags for the unit in secondary. If I could be lucky enough to get the ML tag I'd much prefer to archery hunt if it was legal here.