Using E&E on top of Standard Lid on DT1

crumy

WKR
I remember someone referencing this on another thread but couldn't find it. So apologies on bringing it up again....

I red this and was very interested in it and possibly using this. But thinking there might be some lighter weight options. I wanted to keep standard lid and use it when I needed it for extra storage that I could detach thinking for clothes mainly and maybe gps and stuff.. Have a DT1 Have thought about the pockets but thinking something on the lid might work better.

Thoughts suggestions from those out there who have used the gear?

dotman

WKR
Lawnboi started the thread, do a search on threads he started and you should fund it. Once my pack shows up I'll mount mine up and take a pic.

littlebuf

Banned
I have attached the claymore lite to my top lid but found it pretty redundant even when fully packed. I just don't need to be carrying that much stuff. I think the claymores smaller than the EE though im not positive. I do know it weighs less than the XTL with the same or maybe a little more CI's

dotman

WKR
If Aron is listening/reading maybe he can talk Patrick into a 500D hunting version to drop some weight and then it would smoke the xtl and longhunter with it's versatility.

But at just over 1lb for the 1000D version it still is a good option as a lid, more sofor the highcamp so you wouldn't need to run pockets.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
Lawnboi started the thread, do a search on threads he started and you should fund it. Once my pack shows up I'll mount mine up and take a pic.

thanks. I will look that up. I also saw that the light back pack pouch has 1000 ci but is about 11 oz lighter. I am just researching right now because I have only packed the DT1 once now and could see the potential benefit. Especially for smaller things or clothes. . But at the same time I might be able to do the same thing with some stuff sacks and put stuff in the pack. Based on my limited experience packing this I am sure I could find some ways to improve on what I am doing.

If Aron is listening/reading maybe he can talk Patrick into a 500D hunting version to drop some weight and then it would smoke the xtl and longhunter with it's versatility.

But at just over 1lb for the 1000D version it still is a good option as a lid, more sofor the highcamp so you wouldn't need to run pockets.

This is an idea. I have been looking for a better lid for my t1 but hang found it yet. The xlt is just more then I need and weights a lot but the 1000 is just to big. I just want to have another pocket on the outside. A scaled down long hunter lid maybe?

Lawnboi

WKR
I also responded to my thread.

Im not docking the E&E to the standard lid. Im taking the standard lid OFF. So that's saving me 4oz off the bat.

The E&E is on par as far as weight goes with the other lids, its a little heavier, but also provides much more versatility, organization, and it compresses the contents in your lid not letting them slosh around.

Keep in mind with your DT. You can remove the bag once at camp. Throw the E&E on your frame along with the grab it and have a great day hunting pack.

I use my E&E around town, biking and working out as well. Its housing my gym cloths right now. The 1000d is beyond tough!

I am taking it for the weight, but I don't mind it for the organization it give me and the ability to use it off pack and not walk around with my frame if I don't need to

Lawnboi

WKR

I too would buy up a 500d hunting E&E in a heartbeat. Shoot id probably buy 2 of them. My E&E gets used more than any other pack iv ever owned!

IMO a lightweight 500d hunting E&E type lid would SMOKE the longhunter and XLT options. Especially with the frame packs getting so popular, it would allow you to easily dock your lid on the frame to use for a day pack type thing.

Ill be running mine on top of my HC. besides a small belt pocket that will be my ONLY pocket. The organization it provides and secure feel in the lid postion over other 'docked' pockets is what won me over with this idea.