Using Load Shelf for Gear/Food

Hey Everyone,

I have recently ordered one of the exo XS frames that they advertised a while back. I was planning on backpacking for a November deer hunt this fall. However, if this pack fits me better than my current pack, I am going to have much less space than I currently have. Would packing food or some gear in the load shelf help me get to that 4 or 5 day mark? I could also potentially strap my tent under the pack with the compression straps. If this worked I could see myself continuing to hunt this way to save weight. Does anyone else use the loadshelf for food to get away with a smaller pack?

I am also looking into SG if the fit isn't right and may order one to test against this as well. Thanks for any insight.

bozeman

WKR
I did just this on a 6 day trip recently. I used the 1850 to carry my water bladder and puffy, some smaller items, but used the load shelf to carry in camp and food. I bought a dry bag, but instead wound up using garbage bags for protection while hiking. Worked like a champ and had a nice, sleek 1850 setup while day hunting. Pack weighed right at 52lbs 'all in'.

Moserkr

WKR
Recently packed for a 5 day hunt and stole a lid off another pack to fit my food in. Was able to get 5 days of food in the extra pack lid, strap it on top, and fill my 4000 cu pack with everything else. Just an option. Otherwise yea, put your stuff in a dry bag and distribute the weight right in the load shelf. Dont see why it wont work. Or throw something like your sleep system (lighter) on top, and keep the heavy stuff in the middle close to your back in your pack. Should balance right and once you dump camp weight, good to go!

OP
E
Awesome thanks for the info. We’re you all able to pack meat out after eating some of your food?