Using map and compass for backpack hunt

I really like using using the military lensatic compass. It is easy to sight over long distance and also in thick woods. As long as you can see somthing head of you just sight short. The only draw back is you have to have a protractor for figuring out azmith on a map.

FlyAK

FNG
Old thread, I know, but I love land nav so here’s my 2 cents and maybe someone else will find this valuable:

It’s awesome that you want to use a map and compass for nav while hunting, and I think it’s an important skill that’s unfortunately dying. Go for it and learn, however approach it with a different perspective for hunting purposes.
Forget azimuths and pace counts. You’re not dead reckoning out there. It should be pretty much 100% terrain association. Look at the map of your hunting area. Identify major terrain features that form boundaries of that area e.g. river running E-W to the north, hardball road going N-S to the west, high mountain ridge lines bordering the south and east. Those are your boundaries or backstops. Easily identifiable when encountered, and as long as you don’t cross them, you know your general area. Also identify key terrain features in your designated area for reference when encountered.

When you’re out, you’re doing simple things to navigate like keeping the high ground to your right, counting ridges or spurs you’ve crossed, keeping the tallest peak in sight to your 2 o clock, hand railing rivers or streams. You should pretty much always be able to stop, pull out your paper map, orient it to the terrain or north, put your finger on your predicted location, then look around and verify.

The compass is for figuring out generally which way to go after you got disoriented taking a crap in thick timber. If your primary nav is trying to walk a 213 deg azimuth while holding a pace count, doing intersection/resection, etc., you’re not being an effective hunter. All the animals you’re walking past unnoticed or scaring off are laughing at you. Don’t get me wrong, those are valuable skills to learn and you should, but have extremely limited applicability for us as hunters.

Rokwiia

WKR
My best advice for those who use paper maps (and that includes me).....draw parallel magnetic-north lines on your map before leaving home. Why?

1) You'll never need to remember whether to add or subtract declination. The wrong choice will lead you way off target. In a survival situation, when you're injured or hypothermic, you may not be thinking straight. Not having to remember declination at all can save your life. You did the work at home in a controllable environment.

2) You never need to orient the map before taking readings in the field.

3) You don't have to worry about magnetic interference from rocks or anything metal. You can take readings on top of a powerful electromagnet and it wouldn't affect it.

4) You can take readings on the fly, while walking, which is especially helpful when it's raining.

To draw lines on a map you need to know the declination of the area you'll be in, a protractor, and a metal ruler (the longer the better). You can also use CalTopo to draw straight parallel lines on a map, then print it.

I never leave home unless my map(s) has magnetic-north lines on it.

EdP

WKR
A word of caution regarding your compass. Be very careful about where you carry/store it to protect it from magnetic influences that can reverse the polarity of the needle. I try to keep mine away from my cell phone and gps and avoid the magnets in pocket closures, eyeglass cases, etc. The items that can mess with your compass have become much more prevalent.

I guess I am the only one that doesn't use GPS, onX, etc.? I use a map and a compass and occasionally check Google maps on phone... but generally leave phone off to conserve battery on week-long hunt. Once hunted with my bro and and ran out our batteries in a few days texting all the time after splitting up some morning hunts.

A good topo map from the U.S. geological boys of the area you're going to be in and laminate it. A grease pencil (you will thank me) for when it's raining. A straight edge, and protractor Also, if your first time with orienteering, practice in an area you are familiar with. The other thing I would suggest is a military compass, there proven and rugged. Measure your pace stride and develop a system to keep track of how much distance you have covered, this is good for your return especially after a long day being tired and hopefully humping a pack full of game meat and antlers, (say for every 1000-yards traveled put a small pebble in your pocket. Pay attention to landmarks and chart your travels on the map as you move along, write your azimuths on the map, as you move, they will change in a hunting situation that way you don't forget them at certain points of travel, pay attention to the information on the map ledger especially the magnetic declination noted. This will be important if moving a long distance. as stated, orienteering and navigating while hunting is two different issues. I would also say be trusting of your skills and do not second guess yourself.