Using Osprey pack for backcountry hunt

Wrench

WKR
Don't be afraid. They will work. My little Osprey is my preferred hot weather pack.20200712_130527.jpg

idcuda

WKR
Agree. My kid has hauled elk quarters+ several times in an osprey stratos 24. We'll do the same this year. You'll be ok.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Going in 3-5 miles with one buddy in mid-October to the first of November in Montana. Hunting elk and mule deer during the rifle season.
I would suffer the Osprey for a trip that short and not having future trips planned.

Fresch

FNG
I am using a pack at least 2-3 times per month year round for both whitetail hunting and backpack hiking, camping, fishing, scouting so a non-hunting specific pack made more sense to me. I purchased an Osprey Ather 70 AG in dark green and it has been awesome. It is rated for approx. 60#. I am regularly carrying mid 50#’s on family adventures and never feel like I’m even close to pushing the limits of the suspension. I have packed out 4 deer so far, usually my wife carrying one quarter and backs traps in her smaller Osprey and the rest in mine. I did fit one smaller doe my daughter killed completely in my pack. I feel I could get even a large whitetail deer completely in one load. I use caribou game bags to separate the meat as I break down the animal and then load into the pack. I use a nylofume pack liner that I get off of garage grown gear to keep the blood out of the pack. They are a little lighter and less bulky than packing a contractor bag. 70L is nice for late season hunting with enough room for extra layers, and in the early season I can ditch the detachable lid and compress the bag until I need to pack out. I have not packed out an elk with it but I would think it would be a few trips for 2 guys to comfortably get an elk out anyway and 3-5 miles isn’t incredibly far so an extra trip due to lower load capacity might not be a deal breaker unless you are dealing with extreme meat spoiling heat. The Atmos does have a slightly lower weight capacity than the Ather I’m running but it’s a lighter and a little more agile. It might make the difference after a few days hiking in the mountain to be able to catch up to an animal and remember that all the meat care and hauling gear means nothing if you don’t first put that meat on the ground. Just my 2 cents based on my experience.