Using synthetic layers to get dry inside of down bag?

MrE4853

FNG
I have a wet, cold hunt coming up this fall. I’m running a 30 degree down bag and am not worried about getting the bag wet, but I know I will end up getting soaked. Just curious if anyone has tried using puffy pants and coat over wet clothes inside of a down bag overnight? Trying to avoid getting another sleeping bag, let alone a heavy synthetic one. Thanks in advance.

NUGGET

WKR
Heck no. Even with the treated down it’s no bueno. Your best bet instead of running a down bag is to walk with one. If you walk you’ll sweat less so maybe you’re not as soaked when you go to bed at night. Also it’s generally not safe to run with your pack on and all your gear. YMMV.

Azone

WKR
Might not be the exact answer your looking for here but this was my experience a couple years ago in Colorado during third rifle season. We had a wet snow was coming down on us and instead of stopping and taking the two minutes to put on rain gear like my friend did, I kept proceeding up without it on, stupid mistake, very stupid. By the time we had camp setup and were getting settled in for the night I was getting cold and not really warming up in my sleeping bag, it’s a synthetic 30 degree Big Agnes. I swear I felt a draft coming through the bag. Starting a big, happy fire crossed my mind but I decided to slide my sleeping bag into my SOL bivy since it was the last resort and piece of gear I had to use before getting out and dealing with getting a fire going. It worked very well, within 40ish minutes my pants were dry to the touch and my jacket was not far behind. There were also small amounts of water pooled up on the outside of my sleeping bag when I opened up the bivy and it eventually dried out. If I recall right, I had wool base layers and socks, Firstlite corrugate pants and my upper layer was a kiln under a uncompahgre jacket.

Fatcamp

WKR
Might not be the exact answer your looking for here but this was my experience a couple years ago in Colorado during third rifle season. We had a wet snow was coming down on us and instead of stopping and taking the two minutes to put on rain gear like my friend did, I kept proceeding up without it on, stupid mistake, very stupid. By the time we had camp setup and were getting settled in for the night I was getting cold and not really warming up in my sleeping bag, it’s a synthetic 30 degree Big Agnes. I swear I felt a draft coming through the bag. Starting a big, happy fire crossed my mind but I decided to slide my sleeping bag into my SOL bivy since it was the last resort and piece of gear I had to use before getting out and dealing with getting a fire going. It worked very well, within 40ish minutes my pants were dry to the touch and my jacket was not far behind. There were also small amounts of water pooled up on the outside of my sleeping bag when I opened up the bivy and it eventually dried out. If I recall right, I had wool base layers and socks, Firstlite corrugate pants and my upper layer was a kiln under a uncompahgre jacket.

So you were inside your bag, inside a bivy, inside a tent?

twall13

WKR
I've had success drying damp clothes inside of a down bag before but nothing too wet, just slightly damp socks, pants, shirts etc. on shorter trips. If I needed to rely on that method every day for more than a couple of nights I'd look at a synthetic bag as I'd be nervous about the down taking on more water each night without a chance to dry and fully loft. Even better, use a shelter with a stove to dry things out every night if it's going to be super wet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
Very nice. For no more than a bivy weighs it might be something keep in mind if wet weather is ahead.
After having to spend the night on a mountain once with nothing but the little emergency space blankets, I always carry a bivy now. That was the coldest most miserable night of my life. I also use a bivy with a sleeping bag liner tucked in it for a sleeping bag during rifle season in CA during August and September. Very lightweight and keeps you warm and dry when it’s foggy.

After having to spend the night on a mountain once with nothing but the little emergency space blankets, I always carry a bivy now. That was the coldest most miserable night of my life. I also use a bivy with a sleeping bag liner tucked in it for a sleeping bag during rifle season in CA during August and September. Very lightweight and keeps you warm and dry when it’s foggy.
which liner were you using? Do you like liners, as a rule?

cmc934

FNG
Liner, bag, and bivy is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a liner and treated down bag, it has some drying capability but I would definitely acquire a bivy if the conditions were looking really wet

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Heck no. Even with the treated down it’s no bueno. Your best bet instead of running a down bag is to walk with one. If you walk you’ll sweat less so maybe you’re not as soaked when you go to bed at night. Also it’s generally not safe to run with your pack on and all your gear. YMMV.

How did I miss this?!? Thank you Sir, had a great laugh 👍👍👍

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier has a video of a rewarming drill using their down bags. If you can’t find it, I’ll take a look and post the link. I’m sure it’s on Rokslide somewhere.

jt4

WKR
Stone Glacier has a video of a rewarming drill using their down bags. If you can’t find it, I’ll take a look and post the link. I’m sure it’s on Rokslide somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk