Using target bows for hunting

Does anyone here use a target bow for hunting? If you have, good? Bad? I am looking at getting more into target shooting, but still want to hunt. At this point, I have a budget for 1 bow. I hunt whitetails and mulies, spot and stalk in saskatchewan, hoping to be drawn for moose and elk some time in the near future.

I figure I can swap out stabilizers and sights ect pretty easily when I need/want to.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I switched over to hunting with a target bow last year and really dig it. The only thing was I had to be a bit more careful when taking off my pack because of the longer ATA. I switched back to the padded Kuiu bow holder because of this. I would say don’t go with one of the glossy anodized risers in target colors and you’ll be good. No reason to have a different hunting bow unless you have a super tight tree stand spot or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Thanks for the input.

Call me nuts, but I kinda want a white bow.

Are you running "hunting" sights ect or do you just keep your setup the same year round?

I don't think the bow length will be much of a change for me as my current (needs to be replaced) bow is 36" ata. And treestands?? I live and hunt the praries, what are trees?

Stalker69

WKR
I shot the mathews TRX and really liked the way it shot, would have no problem hunting with it. Except the price kept me from buying it, 1800.00. The traverse felt sweet also, and if I was to buy a mathews it would be the traverse, only because of the price, and I hunt far more then serious target shooting. If it was the other way around and I could only have one bow, It would the TRX.

OP
B
Are you talking the trx36 or the 38? I'been looking at those, the traverse and the reckoning and possibly the primes, as those are what my local shop carries

Thanks for the input.

Call me nuts, but I kinda want a white bow.

Are you running "hunting" sights ect or do you just keep your setup the same year round?

I don't think the bow length will be much of a change for me as my current (needs to be replaced) bow is 36" ata. And treestands?? I live and hunt the praries, what are trees?

Setup stays the same. I just switch sight tapes.

Beendare

WKR
Seems to me every bow can be a "Target Bow"...it has more to do with the guy shooting it. Sure a little longer axle is a bit more forgiving. The more target specific you get -ie; long bar sights, scope, etc the less functional in the field.

Stalking animals with a shiny bow is just begging for them to bust you.....

Brendan

WKR
Split the difference. Get a 35" ATA Bow like a Prime Black 5. Good speed combined with long axle to axle, adjustable draw length, adjustable letoff. Haven't heard how they tune this year, but Primes have been good shooters, and that's a lot of adjustability to dial in the most accurate setup.

Agree Go Neutral Color, not White. A white bow will stick out like a sore thumb and could get you caught if you move, unless you're hunting in snow. And, there's no reason you couldn't just target shoot with a camo bow.

OP
B
Split the difference. Get a 35" ATA Bow like a Prime Black 5. Good speed combined with long axle to axle, adjustable draw length, adjustable letoff. Haven't heard how they tune this year, but Primes have been good shooters, and that's a lot of adjustability to dial in the most accurate setup.

Agree Go Neutral Color, not White. A white bow will stick out like a sore thumb and could get you caught if you move, unless you're hunting in snow. And, there's no reason you couldn't just target shoot with a camo bow.
To be fair, we get snow as early as the beginning of september.... it sucks.

Isn't black usually more visible than white? Light coloured camo/colours blend and blot less than dark toned combinations.

The other thing is, from what i've talked to guys about, they won't let you shoot certain target stuff with camo bows.

As for bow length, i'm looking at 35-38 ish the Black 5 is on my "want to shoot before I buy" list

Stalker69

WKR
Are you talking the trx36 or the 38? I'been looking at those, the traverse and the reckoning and possibly the primes, as those are what my local shop carries

I shot the TRX, and liked it. But yes if you can shoot the prime black 5 I would. That is most likely what I will get, liked it the best by far so far.

Brendan

WKR
Isn't black usually more visible than white? Light coloured camo/colours blend and blot less than dark toned combinations.

Definitely not in the areas I hunt. Remember - it's not a large "blob" itself, so contrast against the background is probably most important. If I only had a white bow, I'd sell it and buy something else.

If you want solid - I'd go a shade of tan/brown.

Last edited:
OP
B
True! I am probably way over thinking the whole thing.... the joys of being cooped up inside inthe winter

DavePwns

WKR
My prime rival has been good for 3d competitions and backcoubtry hunting. I believe it is 35 inch A2A. It's deisgn was aimed to be able to do both well with little to no compromise.

dkime

WKR
Most bows i hunt with are marketed as dual purpose from the mfg 35-36” range, never had an issue but a lot of animals sure have.