Using this cold to test your system

Vandy321

WKR
Good opportunity for most in the west/central US to test some of their gear in a more controlled environment this weekend (backyard).

I replaced a heavy synthetic zero bag with a WM badger (15deg) last winter and went from a tarp to a hille a few month ago. Have yet to really push the comfort limits of that bag (it was toasty warm at 15 last Nov with just base layers). 3 deg is the low tonight, if it does well, I may bring my puffy jacket and pants out tomorrow and see if I can stretch it down to the low of -10 Sunday. For now other reason that it would just be nice to know.

Figured just a heads up in case anyone else was meaning to test the limits of their sleep system this winter.

Screenshot_20210212-145902_AccuWeather.jpg

Usi05

WKR
I am doing this tomorrow night. Did it each of last two years when replacing gear.

I switched from static v lite to q core slx deluxe and regular. Want to see how much better and potentially warmer I can sleep.

Think next weekend I will be camping in new tipi set up with my DIY stove.

Good time to try gear out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have tested my sleep system down to 34. It is currently 30 so I may crash outside tonight. I have a 10 degree EE quilt and a good pad system. Hopefully it gets down to 28. I got this setup with a 25 degree low temp in mind.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
Got a chance to test the winter sleep system. It was 26 and windy. I have a 10 degree EE down quilt and sleeping pads with a combined R value of 6.2. I stayed warm all night in just base layers. The outside of my quilt had ice on it. Normally I pack it in a trash bag with my clothes inside my pack, however in colder temps I may have to keep it in a separate sil nylon bag. Hopefully this won't slow me down too much, but in weather like this it will be tough to dry it out quickly.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I was able to get out too.

My setup:
Hilleberg Soulo
Sea to Summit Insulated pad (5.7r)
WM badger (15 deg)

No wind, 2 deg, light snow. Started off in 2 base layers, woke up sweating, ended up in just my 170 wweightSG Chinook layers and DT socks and a beanie. Was toasty warm.

Speaks volumes to the WM bag that a 15 degree bag is good to at least zero. I'm taking it out tomorrow night to -10f. Read a trick on hear with the continuous baffles, sliding all of the down on top instead of laying on half of it...seemed to work wonders.

Last edited:

jolemons

WKR
I wanted to like my Badger very badly, but got tired of freezing my tail off. I think it was that I'm average sized 5 11 175lbs and I left alot of dead air space inside that needed heated. I never ran it with a Nalgene of hot water, but that probably would have worked.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I wanted to like my Badger very badly, but got tired of freezing my tail off. I think it was that I'm average sized 5 11 175lbs and I left alot of dead air space inside that needed heated. I never ran it with a Nalgene of hot water, but that probably would have worked.

That's crazy, did you have the 6'6" version?

I wasn't overly warm in mine, until I read the trick on shifting the down to the top of the bag with the baffles, not wasting down under you you will just crush. I'm 5'10 175 in the regular sized badger, I was sweating last night at 2 deg F 2 layers of merino.

go_deep

WKR
Tested all my gear right after Christmas, 11° for a low that night, woke up warm and toasty.

jolemons

WKR

I wasn't overly warm in mine, until I read the trick on shifting the down to the top of the bag with the baffles, not wasting down under you you will just crush. I'm 5'10 175 in the regular sized badger, I was sweating last night at 2 deg F 2 layers of merino.
Never shifted down, but that makes sense. I use a 0 quilt for cold weather now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

That is crazy, I’ve been. I’ve and warm in my badger down at 6 degrees.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I have a unheated detached garage. Low was 5 last night. I took my BA starfire 0F put it on my cot, that has a 1" soft foam pad, and tested it out.

I left the garage door open and slept right there.

With only base layers on I was plenty warm. Never woke up cold, except my big German nose got cold, then I'd just put my head in until I woke up again. Overall, I woke up 4 or 5 times but when I got up I was awake and not tired so thats a win.

Does anyone know how a sleeping pad on the ground would compare against a cot with a foam pad?

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I am doing this tomorrow night. Did it each of last two years when replacing gear.

I switched from static v lite to q core slx deluxe and regular. Want to see how much better and potentially warmer I can sleep.

Think next weekend I will be camping in new tipi set up with my DIY stove.

Good time to try gear out!

How did you like the BA sleeping pad? I've been eyeing them up as well

Usi05

WKR
How did you like the BA sleeping pad? I've been eyeing them up as well

Worked so much better for me. With my Klymit I would have issues with hip digging into ground. Not on the BA.

Very pleased so far

I have a WM Badger on order. Hope to get it in time to test it. -16 this morning might be a stretch but can't wait to try. Still need a better pad. Typically hunting late September with temps down in 20s. Would the Klymit insulated static v be doable?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
I have a WM Badger on order. Hope to get it in time to test it. -16 this morning might be a stretch but can't wait to try. Still need a better pad. Typically hunting late September with temps down in 20s. Would the Klymit insulated static v be doable?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Where did you order from? Sorry for the slight hijack