Using this cold to test your system

I slept in the garage last night. No heat or insulation. Cracked a window and door just to be sure.
Temp in low 20s
Put a tarp on concrete
Exped synmat ul 7
El Coyote 20 (first night)
Wore firstlite wick hoody and kuiu 145 merino bottoms.
Woke up about 5 to pee and slightly chilly but not bad.
Quilt was comfortable and foot closure eliminated drafts, didn't wear socks.
The pad attachment system is also really well thought out.
First impressions on the quilt are:
I'm impressed and can't wait to get this thing in the field.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I have a WM Badger on order. Hope to get it in time to test it. -16 this morning might be a stretch but can't wait to try. Still need a better pad. Typically hunting late September with temps down in 20s. Would the Klymit insulated static v be doable?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Have you tested that Kymit in cold weather? I have never owned one so I can't speak with too much authority, but supposedly there ratings are not accurate. I use a Thermarest NeoAir with a Nemo Switchback foam pad. This provides an R Value of over 6. A lot depends on how you sleep temp wise. The combo I use has worked well into the 20s. I haven't tested it any lower yet.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I froze my ass off in the high twenties on a Klymit static V insulated and a 10 degree WM bag. It will be replaced before next season.

Definitely need to take advantage. Here in coastal SC we seldom even get a frost. On my 2019 WY hunt it was - 13F. Needless to say my gear wasn't up to camping.

Was in Maine a month ago and slept in the back of the rental Jeep to test my WM Sequoia in 10 degree conditions. Passed with flying colors.

Had to sleep on an angle to fit. Used suitcase and jacket to block parking lot lights.
20201217_211626.jpg

I froze my ass off in the high twenties on a Klymit static V insulated and a 10 degree WM bag. It will be replaced before next season.

Same experience. X-Therm and Exped insulated are my cold weather go to pads. I add a 1/8" Evo pad under that so I can let a good bit of air out and still have warm hips (side sleeper).

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Same experience. X-Therm and Exped insulated are my cold weather go to pads. I add a 1/8" Evo pad under that so I can let a good bit of air out and still have warm hips (side sleeper).

I am trying to decide between the Xtherm and Exped synmat UL winter. I like the extra thickness of the Exped (also a side sleeper) but the R value of the Xtherm.

I am trying to decide between the Xtherm and Exped synmat UL winter. I like the extra thickness of the Exped (also a side sleeper) but the R value of the Xtherm.

Have both. Will take the Exped (XP 7 Insulated) every time unless I'm traveling as light as possible. Good down to basically zero degrees and much more comfortable. As I posted above I put an Evo pad under my hips since I run the Exped about 3/4 full.

Last edited: