Using Wyoming Preference Points

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I will have 5 preference points for WY in next years draw. I have hunted pronghorn a few times in my home state of CO but never in WY. Looking for suggestions from anyone on a unit to burn my points. I can draw an archery tag for a couple good units in CO every 2 years as well as I have private land access to an OTC archery unit so most likely looking to go rifle and try for a good wall hanger buck. I have never hunted with a guide before so looking for a DIY public land area. Summer scouting and putting miles under my boots has never scared me away from an area. Any insight helps. Thanks in advance.

wytx

WKR
For a wall hanger you'll want to apply in the special draw with 5 PP perhaps.
Hopefully we get some monsoon rains for forage going into fall and winter so bucks will have the nutrition to go with their genetics for horn production.
Lots of good areas for trophy bucks , wait ti decide til after winter and we get quotas for next year.
pm sent

j_volt

WKR
5 points won't get you nearly what it did when you started accumulating points. I would definitely recommend the Special Draw as well to get some more buying power with your points

NoWiser

WKR
Any unit that takes 5 points will give you a great hunt in the regular or special draw. With the way point creep is going, a person would have to be nuts to publicly give away information on specific units.

Laramie

WKR
Just my 2 cents - Preference points in Wyoming gain you access to areas with more public land. The more public land available, the more preference points the area will take. Virtually every area in Wyoming holds bucks in the 80"+ range. Gaining access to those bucks is easier in some areas than others and some areas will hold more than others. With your ability to summer scout and get boots on the ground, I would recommend you making a trip or two to scout this fall. Pick out a couple of areas that took 4-5 points this fall and you will have a shot to draw in the special next year with 5.

As others have said, 5 points doesn't buy near what it once did. To get into the "premium" areas with a lot of public land, you will need a lot more points.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
With the popularity of this trip growing every year the value of the points has dropped pretty good. As you study your maps keep in mind that big public is good.. but you don't always need a million acres to find a good lope. As a Nebraska native I can tell you that we know a thing or 2 about working with animals on smaller public. The biggest thing is being one of the first guys there before they are pushed into the private abyss. Not saying it will be easy, but it is possible.

OP
strousek

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info guys. I will start with studying the public land maps and looking for access points.

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
Points in Wy mean absolutley nothing on trophy quality there's wall hanger bucks in every unit of the state. Pick an area that has plenty of public land and you can draw and go hunt it. I have killed many 80"+ goats off of easily obtainable tags and even left overs (y)

Greenbar

FNG
I didn’t start this thread, but appreciate everyone’s input. I’m in the exact same situation with 5 WY points. Good information.