USMC ILBE by Arc'teryx

sk1

WKR
i have not but i did look at them for a long time.....they go used on ebay for about $150.....from what i can tell seems like a well built pack and will stand up to over 100lb load, but they are heavy

OP
Brandon Pattison
They are heavy, that was my first impression. My cousin lives on Camp Lejeune so finding one wasn't a big deal. The thing I didn't like was the lack of attachment points on the belt. I HAVE to have that or I will walk. Otherwise they were darn near perfect for taking a beating.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They are a mixture between and Arcteryx Bora and a Badlands 4500....just heavier by a few pounds.

Not a bad pack, but heavier than sin.

McFly83

FNG
I have one and have used them since the Marine Corps issued them. They are a little heavier than most hunting packs. The material is a little noisy in heavy brush. They are a durable pack and can handle a heavy load as good as any internal framed pack I've worn. I think it carries a heavy load better than eberlestock J series pack. Side pockets and straps are great for attaching a rifle. My biggest complaint was the base weight and noise on limbs or brush. Also I prefer to have a smaller pack after I get to my bivouc. I'm currently using a horn hunter system.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
i have not but i did look at them for a long time.....they go used on ebay for about $150.....from what i can tell seems like a well built pack and will stand up to over 100lb load, but they are heavy

Same conclusion during my search this winter and if I could've handled one might have made a purchase considering the price tag. Bought horn hunter for a backup last fall and now waiting for an MMR frame to come.

Rockchuck

WKR
bought one and sold again shortly thereafter, the weight and belt issue were my main beefs.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
What is to heavy to one, isn't to another. It is several pounds heavier than some comparable packs.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a substantial thread on this pack over on 24hourcampfire forums. There was several people with opinions.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It may say 8lbs, but it was over 12 on my scale.

The Bora weighs just under 8 and the ILBE has WAY more stuff on it and a heavier material.

I'm in the Corps and am issued one. As far as durability, it can take a beating. Handles 100lb loads pretty well, it just is heavy and has a lot of extra material. But from a Marine's aspect, it is required or these packs would not last long due to the beatings they take. Good durable combat pack, not a good lightweight backpacking pack...in my opinion.