USMC ILBE pack WY hunt?

cs68

FNG
I'm curious if I'll be regretting using a USMC ILBE pack for Wyoming antelope this year. It's a propper branded bag, made by arc'teryx, in marpat woodland.
I am bino shopping, and gathering a few last pieces of clothing, so I don't want to spend the money on a pack, that could get me a better piece of glass.
I will probably bring a smaller day pack with me once we setup camp, preferably.
This will be my first western hunt, I'm used to Michigan whitetail, and carrying a small day pack.
Any info about it, or any other gear that I wouldn't think about, would be greatly appreciated.

*zap*

WKR
You might get a Mystery Ranch guide lite frame and put a filbe or alice pack on it. Filbe/alice can be gotten for not too much $ and you would have a better frame system than the ilbe.

I have one. Once it is adjusted properly, it is very comfortable. I think many complaints regarding the comfort are because people have them adjusted wrong. The shoulder strap height, frame stays, and belt all need to be tweaked to fit you. It’s easy to do.

Is it the best pack for backcountry hunting? Absolutely not. However, I paid $80 for mine.

Is it the best pack I could get for $80? Probably

Here’s an example of one being put to real good use on an elk hunt and packout. Worked for Bryce and he didn’t even have it adjusted correctly. 76C656CC-23CE-4B55-8080-C2A7BBA906C7.jpeg

You might get a Mystery Ranch guide lite frame and put a filbe or alice pack on it. Filbe/alice can be gotten for not too much $ and you would have a better frame system than the ilbe.

I’ve thought about this but am struggling to picture how you’d attach the bag.

EDIT: I’d do this if I could get the overload/meat shelf feature from the setup. I actually think the ILBE frame and belt fit me very well and comfortably.

techmanil

FNG
I used one last year bivy hunting in CO. I did break down and purchased a lighter pack for this year. The ILBE weighs a little more than 8lbs empty. Was comfortable loaded and for a day pack there were no problems.

*zap*

WKR
Any pack that fits an alice frame including the filbe slips right on a Mystery Rand Guide Lite frame. Personally I would get an old Arc'teryx Bora 95 in vs the ilbe. It would weigh less and is basically the same pack minus a lot of molle webbing that is heavy. Filbe has no load shelf and the MR load shelves are part of the bag system but it is a huge pack. It also has a lot of molle webbing. A large alice pack body would be lighter than a filbe.

FYI. If you’re counting ounces, you can shave 1-2#s off the ILBE. The radio pouch, inside pack divider, and the rubber zipper handles can go. If you don’t need the lid capacity, that’s 1# almost right there. You can cut off the external hydration flap, a bunch of the PALS webbing, and the pleather reinforcements too.

A few guys online have gotten the pack down to 6#’s I believe.

+1 for the MR frame. The issue frame will work for sure and if funds are tight, go with what you got. MR NICE frames go for around $150 on eBay. It would be a big upgrade on comfort and stability, but it isn’t essential for one hunt. If you make a hint of backpacking then it is money well spent.

If you want to go a slightly different route, I think a used, high quality backpacking pack like a good Dana Designs, Gregory, arcteryx, etc. is a hell of a lot of hauling capability for not much money.

A few clearance sites even have deep discounts on new packs that would be fine hunting rigs.

OP
C

cs68

FNG
Thanks guys, I did look at Backcountry for cheap backpacking packs, but I already have the ILBE. I was looking for some firsthand experience, and if any glaring problems popped up.
Like I said, I want to leave more cash to put towards a good set of binos, and potential last minute things.
Kuiu is having a good labor day sale, and I thought about picking up an Icon Pro setup, but if the ILBE works, I'd prefer not to.
Idk if this is a rookie mindset, but I doubt 1 or 2lbs will be that big of an issue, being that I'm a big dude. (6'4 235)

Fatcamp

WKR
Like was mentioned you can strip a bunch of weight off of them. Never used one but almost bought one from a buddy who had stripped his down and used it successfully.

Mt Al

WKR
Do it! Will work just fine. If you're counting pennies, switching packs (IMHO) is one of the last things I'd get since you have the ILBE. You are good to go!

*zap*

WKR
If you have the pack and want to know what it will work for then you should probably find out before you hunt by trying it out.

Go Pokes

Lil-Rokslider
Its an Antelope hunt right? I'd put your $ towards Bino's. Your probably not packing in very far or at all for a goat and a pack out of a goat could be done in just about any pack. If it fits and is comfortable then don't spend another dollar on it. They are under 40 Lbs when field dressed. Just my 2 cents.

manitou1

WKR
Even if you put in 5x the effort of the average pronghorn hunter, you won't be putting too many steps on your boots. Your pack will be fine. My pack stays in the truck for 80% of my antelope hunting, and I hunt them pretty hard. Now, if you were doing a backcountry hunt 4 miles in and covering 7-8 miles a day, that would justify counting ounces on a pack.

You will be fine with the ILBE pack. Like Go Pokes said, put any extra $ towards glass.

You can put some time in to customizing it, trimming weight, etc. you won’t need all that MOLLE webbing, etc.

OP
C

cs68

FNG
But if I cut off all the molle web, I won't look as tacticool.
Perfect, thanks for confirming I can spend all of my money on glass...hooray 😅

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I carried it in the infantry, and not just in flat terrain. Once you strip all the studio dead weight it’s a good pack. Just for reference, we had guys with Kifaru, MR, Eberlestock, and some others depending on the gear they carried in the teams. The ILBE is not bad at all, and since you have it I would just go hunt with it. They are overbuilt, and can stand up to abuse that no one would ever put a pack through if they forked over $800 of their own money.