USMC ILBE pack WY hunt?

Wrongside

WKR
Thanks guys, I did look at Backcountry for cheap backpacking packs, but I already have the ILBE. I was looking for some firsthand experience, and if any glaring problems popped up.
Like I said, I want to leave more cash to put towards a good set of binos, and potential last minute things.
Kuiu is having a good labor day sale, and I thought about picking up an Icon Pro setup, but if the ILBE works, I'd prefer not to.
Idk if this is a rookie mindset, but I doubt 1 or 2lbs will be that big of an issue, being that I'm a big dude. (6'4 235)

The old civilian version of the packs- Arcteryx BORA- is a far better loadhauler, IME. Better frame design with actual load lifters. A guy your height won't be able to get the pack 'properly adjusted'. I'm 7" shorter and could barely get any lift. But the ILBE are spacious and tough, should easily handle antelope hunting.

If it's what you have and in the budget, just go hunting. The gear doesn't matter near as much as places like this make it seem. Enjoy your hunt and best of luck. :)

OP
C

cs68

FNG
I put the backpack towards the back of my list bc I wasn't expecting to hump all over Wyoming. That being said, a proper hunting pack is on the list for next year. I'll make the ILBE work, and upgrade next year, if it's a problem.
The budget is about spent when I include a set of binos and a new rangefinder lol.
Thanks wrongside, I think it's going to be an awesome time.

Last edited:
Thats a solid pack. Like a few others have said, goats are small and you will use a daypack for most jaunts after goats. Sites like this make everyone think they need the latest and the most expensive. Keep in mind that hunters have been carrying out elk and moose since the binning of time on contraptions that gear snobs wouldnt be caught dead holding, nevermind hauling in.
That thing is a beast for sure by todays standards, but you could hunt your whole life with one and be satisfied if not for coming on here and reading gear opinions.
Go kill a slob and post pics. The thrill is in the chase, not the gear slavery.

I've put many miles with one of those on my back. It's great so long as you're not wearing a flak with SAPIs. Just fiddle with the adjustments and make sure its packed tight, you'll be good.