UT game management plan change

UtahJimmy

WKR
Public comment is now open for proposed changes to the elk management plan. Here is a summary of the changes (elk starts around the 8min mark):

In short, they are suggesting a move to unlimited OTC any-bull permits for the general season. I encourage everyone to voice your opinion on the Utah DWR website:

cc6de117ecbc8f4f2cfd163efab874c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can the North Slope hold more people on opening weekend? Can we shove an RV and a SxS in between all of the current ones? ;)

Provide a challenge - not an easy hunt?🤨

First off whats easy about the any bull units? Second, is the challenge they are talking about the challenge people will have getting any kind of distance from other hunters?

They must need more money.

Provide a challenge - not an easy hunt?🤨

First off whats easy about the any bull units? Second, is the challenge they are talking about the challenge people will have getting any kind of distance from other hunters?

They must need more money.
Exactly. It's too crowded already.

TheCougar

WKR
Just when you think Utah game management couldn’t get any worse. This is purely a money grab to sell more tags. I’ll keep hunting other states, thank you!

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Just when you think Utah game management couldn’t get any worse. This is purely a money grab to sell more tags. I’ll keep hunting other states, thank you!
Please share your opinion with our division so your voice is heard.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
I'm still in shock that this is how they are trying to justify this plan.
b0b02f53c7c906d4769d73fbb4264794.jpg

I'm still in shock that this is how they are trying to justify this plan.
b0b02f53c7c906d4769d73fbb4264794.jpg

I agree with point 1 and to some extent point 2. Our hunting heritage is one of the things I like most about being a hunter.

How is point 3 a part of their mission? Shouldn't herd health, population numbers, and overall good of the elk in the state be the driving factors? This just tells me Utah wildlife management does not care about the animals. Period. I think most hunters who care enough to comment, also care about the health of the animals (I could be wrong though). And most of us would gladly hunt less years if that's what it took to take care of the overall health of the herd. This is absurd reasoning!

And, are hunters in Utah complaining that elk hunting is too easy? Are they all tagging out opening day with a 20y (archery) or 100y (rifle) broadside shot? No way!!! Elk hunting is a challenge no matter what rules they put in place!

How long has CO had their OTC system? Reason I ask is I looked at elk population numbers and harvest numbers the last 5-7 years. Population has gone up (slightly) so let's call that steady at around 280k-290k animals. Harvest has also remained fairly steady at around 37k-43k killed. Individual herd are probably a better metric, but could an argument be made that the OTC system in CO hurts hunting more than it hurts the elk populations? I don't know, I'm playing devil's advocate trying to figure this out.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
Just when you thought they couldn't come up with a dumber plan than the 3 season tag. I might just start bouncing back and forth between Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana rather than deal with the insane pressure during the general hunts in Utah. It was already bad, this will make it worse.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Just when you thought they couldn't come up with a dumber plan than the 3 season tag. I might just start bouncing back and forth between Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana rather than deal with the insane pressure during the general hunts in Utah. It was already bad, this will make it worse.
Please don't throw up your hands in frustration. Voice your opinion so we can strike this thing down.

I can provide contact information to each regions wildlife manager. I implore all of us to reach out and be heard. As conservationists, we should all band together and fight this terrible plan.

We did it here in Utah against Chaffetz recently when he wanted to sell off our land. Let's do it again!!!

My opinion is shared!!!

Thanks for providing the link, utahjimmy.

I can't imagine how insane it will get if they're unlimited. And yes, point #3 is ridiculous!!!! Unlimited tags could also end up being a huge safety issue. Think of the huge increase in popularity of people wanting to hunt long range. There's going to be people unintentionally slinging bullets over the top of hunters that they don't know are there.

I offered the suggestion of increasing youth tag/season opportunities to help foster the young generation of hunters for Utah's future, instead of making the tags unlimited. Does anyone have any other suggestions for points 1 and 2?

How long has CO had their OTC system? Reason I ask is I looked at elk population numbers and harvest numbers the last 5-7 years. Population has gone up (slightly) so let's call that steady at around 280k-290k animals. Harvest has also remained fairly steady at around 37k-43k killed. Individual herd are probably a better metric, but could an argument be made that the OTC system in CO hurts hunting more than it hurts the elk populations? I don't know, I'm playing devil's advocate trying to figure this out.
Apples to oranges. Colorado has many times more elk habitat than Utah. Colorado actually has more elevation above 10,000 ft than all other lower 48 states combined.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
Please don't throw up your hands in frustration. Voice your opinion so we can strike this thing down.

I can provide contact information to each regions wildlife manager. I implore all of us to reach out and be heard. As conservationists, we should all band together and fight this terrible plan.

We did it here in Utah against Chaffetz recently when he wanted to sell off our land. Let's do it again!!!

Definitely agree. I sent my comments. This isn't passed, just proposed and I hope they don't go through with it.

CorbLand

WKR
Do you really think going to unlimited tags that it would really increase the number of bulls killed that much? I looked but is there stats on the success rates for general season any bull?

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Definitely agree. I sent my comments. This isn't passed, just proposed and I hope they don't go through with it.
Unfortunately I just heard from my friend in the division and he says "there is no talk of walking back the recommendation" at this time, even with all the outrage that they have received. With the RAC meetings being online only, the input from the public is via the online feedback. This is a massive disappointment. I feel like the division is using the online RAC meetings to avoid public outcry and pushing this through because they can do it without real pushback.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Do you really think going to unlimited tags that it would really increase the number of bulls killed that much? I looked but is there stats on the success rates for general season any bull?
If they keep the multi-season tags and those are unlimited, then absolutely it will. I would be less upset with this recommendation if they got rid of the multi-season. Go back to OTC pick-your-weapon hunt. The problem of overcrowding starts with the multi-season. Look at WY and MT: they do allow multi-season, but they are capped (for NR). This is a great model.

CO is unlimited on a lot of units and most hunters report back that they see more hunters than animals on these units.