UT LE 2021 Elk (video added)

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I've shared on a couple forums but figured I would here as well.

This year I drew a random archery tag with 2 points. I was and still am very novice when it comes to archery hunting. However, I did know the unit and essentially had been preparing for this hunt the last 8 years.

Over the course of the summer I saw many good bulls. I kept waiting/hoping I would find one that wowed me, but I also knew if I could harvest a decent 6 point that in itself would be an accomplishment.

Screenshot_20210711-193144_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20210711-220014_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20210724-083112_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210724-100542_Gallery.jpg

As season approached I was still deciding where I would find myself on opening day. As much as I wanted to chase the two biggest bulls from my cameras, I opted to hunt a different area. My friend and I had a plan for opening day that quickly unraveled as ranchers came through the area pushing their cattle. Things did get exciting when we found 4 bedded bulls, 6x6 5x6 5x5 4x2, and snuck within 55 yards. One by one the bulls got up and fed off until the 5x6 remained. Soon the hooting and hollering from the ranchers jumped the 5x6 and he was coming to run us over before turning away. I drew my bow back for practice and soon the event was over.

My brother was planning on hunting with me the second day, but things at home changed that. Being by myself I opted to sit a water hole I had put cameras on in the past but not this year. I was about 2 miles in when I caught the back half of an elk. I got closer and realized it was a good bull. He was in thick trees but I was able to find a shooting lane at 30 yards and let an arrow fly. The bull took off and I was left wondering if I hit him. As I searched for my arrow I caught a glimpse of the bull walking through the trees. I soon found my arrow and confirmed it was a hit, but there wasn't much penetration. Periodically I would hear a branch brake from his direction and that led me to pursue rather than back out. As I crept to where I last saw him I found his blood trail and realized I had a dead bull walking. I caught up to him in his bed and put one in him to finish him off.

At this point I realized what I had done... killed a bull with no one else than myself to take care of it. Luckily, a local had told me he always had his radio on a certain channel. I was able to connect with him and he sent out a few messages for me. My brother came up and helped pack him out. My first arrow flew at 7:22am and after a few trips we had him off the mountain by 8pm.

Just like that my archery hunt was done in 2 days. I knew he was a decent bull, but didn't realize how good until I had him next to some other bulls we have harvested. Pretty happy with the outcome, even if I don't get to hunt in September.

(Sorry, most of my pics are too large to load)

20210822_094829.jpg
20210822_153447.jpg
20210824_094310.jpg

Last edited:

Kwa_bena

FNG
I soon found my arrow and confirmed it was a hit, but there wasn't much penetration. Periodically I would hear a branch brake from his direction and that led me to pursue rather than back out. As I crept to where I last saw him I found his blood trail and realized I had a dead bull walking. I caught up to him in his bed and put one in him to finish him off.
What was the weight of your arrows? Sorry if I came of as one of those people but glad you were able to recover the animal. Congrats on the Utah tag though since I hear it can be years and thousands of dollars worth to pull one.

OP
gledeasy

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
What was the weight of your arrows? Sorry if I came of as one of those people but glad you were able to recover the animal. Congrats on the Utah tag though since I hear it can be years and thousands of dollars worth to pull one.

Thanks. For really being my first archery hunt things turned out well. I actually couldn't tell you the answer to your question. Gold tip arrows with QAD exodus (100gr) broadheads. First shot hit and busted bone. The arrow had blood about 10-12" up and busted with about 6-7" in him.

Kwa_bena

FNG
Thanks. For really being my first archery hunt things turned out well. I actually couldn't tell you the answer to your question. Gold tip arrows with QAD exodus (100gr) broadheads. First shot hit and busted bone. The arrow had blood about 10-12" up and busted with about 6-7" in him.
I'm guessing that it was a shot that didn't go quite as planned. I'm new to hunting in general so I'm just learning about this. That aside, how long total did it take you to get the tag? I hear that Utah and Nevada are tough states to get to hunt in.

OP
gledeasy

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm guessing that it was a shot that didn't go quite as planned. I'm new to hunting in general so I'm just learning about this. That aside, how long total did it take you to get the tag? I hear that Utah and Nevada are tough states to get to hunt in.
It certainly could have been better. Luckily, things worked out.

I'm a UT resident, which helps odds. This was my second tag for the unit. The first being a rifle tag that took 15 years. After a 5 year wait period it took an additional 3 years (which was lucky) for this tag.

Kwa_bena

FNG
It certainly could have been better. Luckily, things worked out.

I'm a UT resident, which helps odds. This was my second tag for the unit. The first being a rifle tag that took 15 years. After a 5 year wait period it took an additional 3 years (which was lucky) for this tag.
Dang even as a resident it's a whole decade long task for the limited entry. But at least they have it in a manner where the elk can get big. That's one of the things that is making want to move there. Damn near every unit there is a trophy unit.

OP
gledeasy

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
It's been a while but I finally put together some video of the experience.