UT North Slope archery deer

nvbowhunting

Drew this tag this year and Ive never hunted the Uintas before. I have heard there are some good bucks, but they arent easy to find. I`m not looking for a 190+ buck, but I`d be happy with anything 150+. Is that an something that would be possible in this unit or should I wait till the extended hunt starts and start hunting that?
Also planning on buying an OTC archery elk tag. Heard there are a few good bulls up there???
Thanks for any help!

sneek-ee

Well Known Rokslider
you're time would be better spent hunting the extended as far as seeing bucks and quality...
I'll shoot ya a pm.

Wasatchbuck

Well Known Rokslider
Deer heard is thin up in the uintas, I am sure there are a few deer that exist in that class but you will be hard pressed to find them. All the times I have been up there elk hunting I have not seen a lot of deer. Shoot me a pm and I can help some more.

RUTTIN

Well Known Rokslider
I always pull a North Slope archery deer tag, and I will tell you it is hard to find very many deer on that unit, but when you do see a buck it is usually a good one. I hunt elk out there and have the deer tag in case I run into a buck I want to kill. I will usually hunt the front in November for deer. Good luck on your hunt my friend.

sk1

Well Known Rokslider
I always pull a North Slope archery deer tag, and I will tell you it is hard to find very many deer on that unit, but when you do see a buck it is usually a good one. I hunt elk out there and have the deer tag in case I run into a buck I want to kill. I will usually hunt the front in November for deer. Good luck on your hunt my friend.

same here, hunting for elk on the north slope and have my deer tag in hand just in case. am hoping to get my deer on the extended

based on what i have seen (could be different in other basins) i dont see many deer up high in elevation, my friends that rifle hunt there do well around 8500-9500ft elevation or so. i think last year i saw 8 does and around 150 elk. honestly i havent seen a buck yet up where i elk hunt, but if there are a few does i would imagine there is a good buck out there somewhere. me personally if i was hunting deer i would stay a bit lower, or wait for the extended but that can be a circus if you're not familiar with that either.

OP
N

nvbowhunting

ruttin: have you had any success up there hunting deer? or just elk??
and thanks for the help sk1. has any one had success on the north slope with archery deer? from what i sounds like, i might as well just leave my deer tag in the truck and tag my elk tag instead haha

Wasatchbuck

Well Known Rokslider
ruttin: have you had any success up there hunting deer? or just elk??
and thanks for the help sk1. has any one had success on the north slope with archery deer? from what i sounds like, i might as well just leave my deer tag in the truck and tag my elk tag instead haha

I definitely would not leave my tag in the truck, the deer herd might not be as strong on the north slope as it is in other areas but I have seen a handful of respectful deer come out of that area. I have the number to the biologist for that area if you want it, he might be able to provide a little more oversight then I can. Part of my muzzleloader unit is on the north slope and I am considering giving it a try this year, at the very least you will be in some beautiful country and away from the crowds.

HellsCanyon

Well Known Rokslider
You know a lot of areas least where I've hunted seems that muley bucks rarely hangout in areas that are popular for elk. Least that's been my experience. Doesn't mean they aren't there, just might be in different types of terrain than where you'll find the elk.

Mike