UT PINE VALLEY MULIES

khunter20

FNG
Alright, I know this is probably the absolute worst time to be asking for help but I drew a pine valley archery tag and this will be my first year hunting Utah, mule deer and the west in general as I just got stationed in UT in the fall and grew up hunting whitetails. Im looking for any help or insight on how to hunt these critters in the early season. Im planning on spending the first 7-10 days of the season out there hunting them hard and covering a lot of ground trying to locate them. If anyone is wanting to point me in the right direction on this unit id take it but those aren't my expectations, im really just hoping someone can give me a general idea of what im getting into on this unit and learning these animals better. Any tips for e-scouting? I probably won't be able to get out there for a while as I'm deployed right now so im trying to gather as much info as I can for the time being. My last question is whether a spotting scope is useful on this unit or not or if 12x50 binos on a tripod will do the trick. Ive never needed a spotting scope where ive lived but im not against purchasing a nice one if its a necessity out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your binoculars will be fine. If you get a chance to scout, practice stalking some small bucks and learn from your mistakes. You definitely don't want to have to learn the basics of stalking mule deer with a bow once the season starts and you've found a buck that you're going to take.

Bonehammer

Lil-Rokslider
As for e-scouting there are some great podcasts, spend time with google earth and OnXMaps. You could also get in touch with biologists that work in the area

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
Your binoculars will be fine. If you get a chance to scout, practice stalking some small bucks and learn from your mistakes. You definitely don't want to have to learn the basics of stalking mule deer with a bow once the season starts and you've found a buck that you're going to take.
Thanks for that tip, not a bad idea at all

bigmo101

FNG
Sometimes if you miss the first weekend you'll have the whole unit to yourself. I went up for the second weekend on a general archery hunt, hardly saw anyone.

I have archery hunted the unit for 9 years now and I have only ran into another hunter off of the road one time after opening weekend. One time, in 9 seasons.

My advice would be find water and the deer won’t be far from there. And get some stalking socks or something because the ground is usually really loud with rocks

Justace

FNG
Khunter20, I live in the northern part of the Unit and would be glad to help out. I just signed up but apparently I have to get through a probation period to send a PM. I’m not sure if I can receive a PM but if you want to send me your contact info I’d be happy to help you with few starting points.

Bsevans5

FNG
Khunter20, I live in the northern part of the Unit and would be glad to help out. I just signed up but apparently I have to get through a probation period to send a PM. I’m not sure if I can receive a PM but if you want to send me your contact info I’d be happy to help you with few starting points.
I just signed up after having a couple unsuccessful trips out. Looking for more help. Scouted an area near bumblebee with a rancher I know that lives in the area. Saw 4 nice bucks right off the road and a big buck but we had to go through some private. Opening morning went to where I saw the bucks easiest to get to. There were some hunters there and at one point I glassed a guy just walking across the open area. Decided to hike over a ridge to get to where I saw the big buck, but staying on public land. Glassed a couple does and as I was leaving I saw 2 small 3 points in the distance went back this morning expecting no pressure from others. True. Didnt see another hunter, but also didnt see a single buck anywhere. Now trying to decide if I go back again this weekend or try somewhere else. Just dont know where to go

Justace

FNG
I just signed up after having a couple unsuccessful trips out. Looking for more help. Scouted an area near bumblebee with a rancher I know that lives in the area. Saw 4 nice bucks right off the road and a big buck but we had to go through some private. Opening morning went to where I saw the bucks easiest to get to. There were some hunters there and at one point I glassed a guy just walking across the open area. Decided to hike over a ridge to get to where I saw the big buck, but staying on public land. Glassed a couple does and as I was leaving I saw 2 small 3 points in the distance went back this morning expecting no pressure from others. True. Didnt see another hunter, but also didnt see a single buck anywhere. Now trying to decide if I go back again this weekend or try somewhere else. Just dont know where to go
Are you trying to stay near Cedar City?

Bsevans5

FNG
Are you trying to stay near Cedar City?
No. I'm in st. George, so it's not something I'm stuck on. I've hunted with buddies west of enterprise in years past. Thought I'd try bumblebee as someone I know lives there and put me on some deer before the season started. Talked to another hunter while I was getting more arrows cut at sportsmans today that said the heat has changed all their patterns. Hes been studying his trail cams and seen all their activity in the area he hunts has been at night. I'm willing to put the work in and hike where I need to, just dont want to keep going back if that's a bad idea and dont know where to go from here.

Bsevans5

FNG
I know they are pretty prevalent in certain areas. Havent seen or heard one the couple times I've been to the area I've been hunting. I was worried about them the first time I went out, knowing they are common, and almost wore knee high gaiters, but the local rancher that put me on that area never mentioned them so I'm guessing they arent a concern there. So far that's been the case

Bsevans5

FNG
I've been out many times over the last few years and never seen 1. Been out a number of times in the last week in new areas. Didnt see or hear 1. Went out yesterday with some buddies to an area I've never been. Asked about rattlesnakes. They said they've never seen one there. We split up when we got to the area and when we met back up on of the guys said I jinxed them by asking. He came across this guy just a few feet in front of him.

Attachments

• IMG_19401.jpg
    IMG_19401.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 96

Bsevans5

FNG
I feel really lucky I havent had more encounters. I've been out quite a bit since the archery hunt started last week. Not seen any. Unfortunately I haven't seen any big bucks either 😑