UT youth any bull landowner access

Bosco301

FNG
My son (12) was successful this year drawing a youth any bull tag. His season begins September 17th. I have Been researching units and keep reading landowner access is beneficial in the north and northwest units of the state. I would prefer a public land hunt (diy) but would like to keep options open. Does anyone know of ways to find landowners who offer trespass fees to access their land. And if so, ballpark what those fees may be. On a side note if we end up in the south slope unit would you recommend bringing a utv?
He also drew a mule tag in panguitch, which I have hunted and enjoyed. I am Really excited that my kids are now old enough to hunt all the west. Thank you for any advice, and good luck on everyone’s draws and hunts.
John

Sled

WKR
I hunt the south slope mostly. There is good access to hunting without a SXS but some areas it can help. There are a few 50" trails and plenty of hiking trail access.

I do 90% of my hunting from the truck but there are places you'll get to faster with the SXS. If you have specific road access/difficulty questions, feel free to ask.

Sled

WKR
As for trespass fees... Your best bet is to go down the cwmu manager list and talk someone into it

Bsevans5

FNG
What resources have you used to research? My son drew the same tag. We're in st. George. I've just done cow hunts in beaver a few times. Needing direction on how to research/prep/where to scout

OP
B

Bosco301

FNG
So far I have mainly been using the states website(hunt planner). It has been pretty good at identifying the units, borders and wildlife management areas. I have then tried to cross reference it with Go Hunt, Google Earth and maps. I will be down in panguitch later in the year for my kids deer tag but am leaning toward the northern units for elk. Seem like better herd numbers in the north. From what I have read it seems like people recommend not to pass on any legal elk. If you have any prior experience in beaver east it may be a good start. Good luck to your son.

Bsevans5

FNG
So far I have mainly been using the states website(hunt planner). It has been pretty good at identifying the units, borders and wildlife management areas. I have then tried to cross reference it with Go Hunt, Google Earth and maps. I will be down in panguitch later in the year for my kids deer tag but am leaning toward the northern units for elk. Seem like better herd numbers in the north. From what I have read it seems like people recommend not to pass on any legal elk. If you have any prior experience in beaver east it may be a good start. Good luck to your son.
Thank you. I've used some but not all of those resources. Unfortunately if I'm not mistaken, beaver east is a LE unit, so we can't hunt that one

OP
B

Bosco301

FNG
You are right, my bad I meant Beaver East. Looks less timbered on the west. OnX maps is always a good resource too once you pick a unit.

2five7

WKR
As for trespass fees... Your best bet is to go down the cwmu manager list and talk someone into it
His youth tag does not allow him to hunt any cwmus, even if the operator wanted to let him.

Sled

WKR
His youth tag does not allow him to hunt any cwmus, even if the operator wanted to let him.

Most of those operators know the surrounding land owners. Look on KSL.com classifieds. There are usually posts in the hunting section about trespass fees, though it seems inflation has hit that too.

Thats not entirely true. If the CWMU doesnt offer an elk tag your boy can hunt elk there as long as you get permission. Any CWMU with less than 10K acres cant offer elk tags. I have spoken with many CWMU operators and they have genuinely been good folks.
Best of luck.