Utah Adventure

FFBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
This year my father in law and I decided to try another state for mule deer. We choose Utah and were drawn for the Wasatch east unit. We were lucky enough for members on here especially wyo gasman for the advice. We left last Wednesday night from Washington around 10pm and we drove all night. We arrived to find a bachelor group all massive to our standards. We were excited! We headed out early Friday to scout. We saw 30-40 shooter bucks and 4 close to trophy bucks. We were hooked! On opening morning we hiked down into a basin about a half mile and set up. Shortly after light I had a small three come within ten yards, do to the size of the deer we have been seeing I decided to pass. That evening I did a stalk however, I could only get to 80 yards which I'm not confident shooting at. The following day my father in law missed a unique three at 40 yards. And I spooked a really nice four that was 20 yards away and I didn't even know it. Sunday evening was slow but we were lucky to meet some guys who already harvested and were going to let us sit in their stands in the am. This morning we woke to our truck unable to run, specifically no throttle. We got towed from current creek to herber city. We attempted to fix some sensors with no luck. We are now stuck until our truck is fixed. Looks like our season is done for however, it was a blast and I cannot wait till next year!

So cool! Chasing good bucks warms my heart like no other. Sounds like you had a great time and made some lasting memories, I hope to do the same thing this year in Utah also. My first time, all DIY. I can't wait!

Bummer on the truck. If I was closer I'd drop you off on the mountain somewhere so you could hit it until your truck is fixed.
Sounds like you were in a good spot.
You could always come back in November and hunt the front.

CA Karen

Lil-Rokslider
Check the ground on the battery... my truck refused to run with it broke..... Almost wrecked my moms first deer hunt in Utah so have em check that.

OP
F

FFBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
It ended up being a bad throttle position sensor but to fix it you had to replace the throttle body. We fixed it and hunted yesterday morning without luck. Next year we will know where to go.

JMayne

FNG
This year my father in law and I decided to try another state for mule deer. We choose Utah and were drawn for the Wasatch east unit. We were lucky enough for members on here especially wyo gasman for the advice. We left last Wednesday night from Washington around 10pm and we drove all night. We arrived to find a bachelor group all massive to our standards. We were excited! We headed out early Friday to scout. We saw 30-40 shooter bucks and 4 close to trophy bucks. We were hooked! On opening morning we hiked down into a basin about a half mile and set up. Shortly after light I had a small three come within ten yards, do to the size of the deer we have been seeing I decided to pass. That evening I did a stalk however, I could only get to 80 yards which I'm not confident shooting at. The following day my father in law missed a unique three at 40 yards. And I spooked a really nice four that was 20 yards away and I didn't even know it. Sunday evening was slow but we were lucky to meet some guys who already harvested and were going to let us sit in their stands in the am. This morning we woke to our truck unable to run, specifically no throttle. We got towed from current creek to herber city. We attempted to fix some sensors with no luck. We are now stuck until our truck is fixed. Looks like our season is done for however, it was a blast and I cannot wait till next year!
[/QUOTEd

What can you share with me area wise on hunting the Wasatch east unit. sounds like you had great success in Utah. Im new to the unit and would love any kind of help I can get.

JMayne

FNG
also has anyone seen any elk up in this unit. looking to get into a lot of animals this year.

JMayne

FNG
It ended up being a bad throttle position sensor but to fix it you had to replace the throttle body. We fixed it and hunted yesterday morning without luck. Next year we will know where to go.

I had the same problem on my duramax, also replaced the fuel filter and it helped out ton.