Utah archery cow/spike hunt - Monroe

VegasMike

FNG
Hope everyone's scouting and hunt planning are shaping up.

Decided to grab an OTC archery elk cow/spike tag. It'll be my first elk experience. I'm planning to hunt the southern half of the Monroe unit. Mainly because I've been in there numerous times and already have a few spots I regularly find elk; so i won't be asking for anyone's honey holes lol.

Was hoping someone might shed a light on what the pressure looks like during the archery season. I found the farther north I went the more ATVs and campers I saw. Due to the easy access and network of roads I'm envisioning pre China virus Disney Land sized crowds lol. I'm planning my hunt for last week in august mid week to try to avoid the weekend crowds. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have not hunted that unit, but you nailed it. Utah has atv trails and roads systems, going every where. I once hiked over 3 miles up and then down, only to find a ranchers quad trail he used to herd cattle. I could've drove right in from a different direction. The weekends are always busy and the first week as well. By the 2nd week it isn't too bad. All weekends are usually busy but that works in your favor if you know where the steep and nasty areas are, that's where they retreat to. The elk that is, the hunters retreat to their camps for 11:00 am breakfast. lol
Every now and then you find an elk in an easy location, that's why all the people keep coming back.
Just find the ugly areas and drop in. I suspect it's the same in every state with elk any more. Put that back country gear to work and have a great time in beautiful country.

*EDIT- Archery season used to be the time when you pretty much had the woods to yourself. When I first started hunting archery deer/elk in Utah, rarely did I see anyone and the camps were few and far in between. Now, it is just like rifle season, except with camo and not orange. Hunting the OTC hunts has become more popular than Brittney Spears on IG.

Last edited: