Utah archery hunt - Plateau Thousand Lakes

huntndad

FNG
I'll be heading to Utah for the first time on an archery hunt in the Plateau Thousand Lakes unit. I've been looking over maps, etc., but still not sure what type of hunt to expect. Should I plan a backpack style hunt or drag my father along and make camp a little more confy, right out of the truck. I'll be heading over around the 16th of August (season starts the 18th), and be able to hunt for about 6 days. If anyone has advice, or knowledge about the area, I'd appreciate it.

Ive hunted cow elk there the last two years and Ive seen a lot of bucks around the top of Mytoge Mtn. Quite a few hunters as well but most stay in Loa. If you can backpack out there for the five days, it would give you a heads up on everyone. Deer can see those headlights from a long way so use the direction of the roads that most will be coming from to your advantage. Be prepared for lots of atv's as well. Country is easy to glass for a long ways so bring good optics and you will find them bedded. Haven't noticed much movement of the deer so I can't tell you directions or patterns, almost all that I saw were glassed up while bedded.

OP
H

huntndad

FNG
Thanks for the information. Looking on Google Earth, I think Mytoge Mtn. is in the Plateau-Fish Lake area and not the Thousand Lakes unit. I could be completely wrong, though.
ATVs are one thing I really want to try an avoid. I'll gladly hunt lesser areas to try and avoid them.