Utah Bound 2020

Hey guys, looks like I have enough points to draw a Utah LE elk archery tag this year. Just wondering if there are any northern CO guys in the same boat with preference points looking to team up. I'm working on putting together a DYI or affordable guided trip in September with two of my long-time hunting buddies and may have room for a fourth experienced archer. We are just hardworking serious hunters looking to chase our dream in the Utah mountains this Fall. PMs only please, no need to discuss units and point totals on a public forum. Thanks

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
Just some info for you, depending on your point level you could be better off picking another season. Utah archery is a tough hunt, its early in the season, generally hot weather and not a whole lot of bugling action. Last fall I hunted one of the LE elk units for early rifle which starts the day after archery ends, the bulls were starting to bugle at this point but it was still 75 degrees during the day so any action was a couple hours after sunrise and about an hour before sunset. If you have the points to burn I would look at an early muzzy season.

I also hunted Utah limited entry archery elk for the 1st time last year. I agree with the last post. Maybe it was just a rough year but didn’t get much bugling action. Tough hunt but still had a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I had a tag in 2012. Think the season ended on the 14th that year. They were just starting to bugle on the 12th. Buddy called one in for me. Just never know!

I’d rather have tough conditions and a tag!

OP
ElkArcher918
Hey guys thanks for your input and insight. Yeah, I agree Utah doesn't have the greatest hunt dates for archery hunters. I could have drawn the same tag last year but decided to push it to 2020. After waiting over a decade + I just want to get out there and Hunt hard for an opportunity or two. I'm planning to hunt the last 10 -12 days of the archery season hopefully catch the beginning of some bugling action. Initially, I was thinking of doing this hunt DIY but going guided is still an option. Through research and phone calls I was able to find a reputable licensed outfitter with a few good local guides, cost is reasonable. Something to be said about local knowledge.

Let me know if you draw and which unit. I may be able to help on a few of the units. The good news is that early in the season the bulls are fairly patternable.