Utah Buck - My Best Buck

toasty

FNG
I bought a utah pronghorn tag at a turkey banquet earlier this year. I went down scouting several times and would be lucky to see 10 antelope in an entire day of scouting covering several hundred miles. I had only 3 shooter bucks located. I went through the videos of the bucks I had taken over the past couple weeks and decided to start in an area which I thought held the best buck. We arrived at an overlook and glassed the flat where I had last seen my best buck and was only able to locate 1 doe. We drove down to her and she took off and ran for like 3 miles until we couldn't see her anymore. I then noticed a nice buck, not the one that was 1st on my list, but still a nice buck that had huge prongs and I think was a shooter, but it was located out of the hunt area by 300 yards. I watched waited for him to move back into the area as the buck bred a doe and kept chasing a smaller buck and pushing further and further away, finally after about an hour the buck moved back to the boundery line and the little buck was finally pushed away and walked 50 yards right in front of me, as he did, I noticed 5 more antelope right on the boundry line. As soon as I saw the buck, I knew he was my #1 buck but he was still out 1000 yards. I jumped in the truck and drove down to close into about 400 yards, as I did the little buck ran down in front of me right to the big buck which proceeded to chase the little buck 300 yards into my unit towards me. I jumped out and rested on a large boulder. They finally stopped running and I ranged him at 320 yards and I took the shot and missed. I think I had a little buck fever. The buck ran back down towards the boundry road and stopped 40 yards from the boundry. I sat down on the ground and got a good sitting rest and ranged him at 250 put it on him and shot again and this time I heard the whap. Got a great hit and the buck ran 20 yards and died right next to the road. I have taken 2 nice bucks in WY and he is my best buck to date. Thought he would push 80 in the video. He has just over 15" horns 6.5" bases, and without the broken prong and tip would have scored 80" gross.

255cropped.jpg
405cropped.jpg

OP
T

toasty

FNG
Thanks guys. You know the best part of this was doing it with my dad who is getting up in years. We finished up the antelope hunt at about 10:00am and my dad suggested we do a little fishing. We ran up the mountain stopped by a little beaver pond and was able to take a several nice brookies before heading home. My dad was climbing over downed logs like he was 35 year old again. He just keeps going and nothing is too nasty if there are good fish there.

gpafishcropped.jpg

mebrookiecropped.jpg

I bought a utah pronghorn tag at a turkey banquet earlier this year. I went down scouting several times and would be lucky to see 10 antelope in an entire day of scouting covering several hundred miles. I had only 3 shooter bucks located. I went through the videos of the bucks I had taken over the past couple weeks and decided to start in an area which I thought held the best buck. We arrived at an overlook and glassed the flat where I had last seen my best buck and was only able to locate 1 doe. We drove down to her and she took off and ran for like 3 miles until we couldn't see her anymore. I then noticed a nice buck, not the one that was 1st on my list, but still a nice buck that had huge prongs and I think was a shooter, but it was located out of the hunt area by 300 yards. I watched waited for him to move back into the area as the buck bred a doe and kept chasing a smaller buck and pushing further and further away, finally after about an hour the buck moved back to the boundery line and the little buck was finally pushed away and walked 50 yards right in front of me, as he did, I noticed 5 more antelope right on the boundry line. As soon as I saw the buck, I knew he was my #1 buck but he was still out 1000 yards. I jumped in the truck and drove down to close into about 400 yards, as I did the little buck ran down in front of me right to the big buck which proceeded to chase the little buck 300 yards into my unit towards me. I jumped out and rested on a large boulder. They finally stopped running and I ranged him at 320 yards and I took the shot and missed. I think I had a little buck fever. The buck ran back down towards the boundry road and stopped 40 yards from the boundry. I sat down on the ground and got a good sitting rest and ranged him at 250 put it on him and shot again and this time I heard the whap. Got a great hit and the buck ran 20 yards and died right next to the road. I have taken 2 nice bucks in WY and he is my best buck to date. Thought he would push 80 in the video. He has just over 15" horns 6.5" bases, and without the broken prong and tip would have scored 80" gross.

View attachment 215452
View attachment 215453