Utah draw group odds

KevinDTX

FNG
I’m putting in for Utah as a non resident with two residents. Our points average 8. should I look at the resident draw odds to estimate our chances? Resident odds for one particular hunt are 10 % compared to 1% for non resident with 7 non res tags. Would appreciate it If anyone knows.

BFR

WKR
My understanding is that you are drawing for the non-res tag, they are for res tags, if res tags are less than needed for your friends, no tags for group, same if they have tags and non res tags are gone, no tags for group. So I would say you need to look at it as 1% odds.

wapitibob

WKR
Every western state I know of does as noted above, resident tags from the resident pool, nr tags from the nr pool. All need to be filled or they bounce the app with WY being the only state that will fill a party with xtras.

cgasner1

WKR
You would all be in the non resident pool your buddies would be better off putting in by themselves and going with you if you ever draw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
In a mixed party in Utah, resident tags come from the resident pool, non resident tags came from the non resident pool. The non resident is almost always the limiting factor.

From the UDWR web:
"Residents and nonresidents can apply together in a group. However, some hunts may not have enough nonresident permits for your group size which could make your group unsuccessful in the drawing. Consider the following examples:

1. Your group is made up of one resident and two nonresidents. If there is only one nonresident permit available, your group can't draw the permit unless there are leftover resident permits. That circumstance is extremely rare.
  2. Your group is made up of one resident and one nonresident. There are lots of resident permits and one nonresident permit. Because of the drawing process, the 1 nonresident permit will be issued randomly after the bonus point round. This means that there is almost no chance of this group drawing the permit. Look for a hunt that has at least two nonresident permits."

Last edited:

Chad E

WKR
You would all be in the non resident pool your buddies would be better off putting in by themselves and going with you if you ever draw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I agree his buddies would be better off putting in with their own group(depending on who has what points to make an average of 8) I don't think it's accurate that the entire group would be in the non resident pool. They would each be in their respective pools but if either one didn't have enough tags to fill the entire application in their pool then the whole application is unsuccessful.

So to figure odds of the application go with the nonresident % as the most accurate representation of your odds.