Utah Elk Dilemma…

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
10 years ago I scouted the Book Cliff Roadless area. It was exactly what I wanted. Utah keeps taking NR tags away. The only thing left that is not a random draw in there is the early rifle season. I have 20 plus points but I am short there. I need to come up with a new plan.

I want to take another scouting trip this September. I have two ways to go:

1. Scout a premier archery elk unit that I would been in the max point pool this year.

2. Scout a unit with a pretty darn good reputation that I would absolutely draw a max point early rifle or muzzleloader tag. Additionally in this unit I could use my limited and general deer points eventually.

Which way would YOU go?

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is the archery dates for UT. They can be early and really limit the effectiveness of calling. That could make it harder if you dont really know the unit. Thats all I have to offer.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a peek at the odds-- while 20 is long wait it appears your behind the good mid-tier units in early rifle and muzzleloader. I'd look into archery if your tired of waiting it opens up more good units. Trade off is the dates usually fall outside the best time in September.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
On a positive note for the early archery dates, is it'll be hot and hunting over wallows can be awesome

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
10-4 guys. I tried to leave off naming exact units other than the one I am hosed on by SFW and my specific points (I am well north of 20) so I don’t get abused here…I don’t necessarily need help with what points will work where, more if you personally feel it better to go for an archery tag than you are in the max point POOL for a chance at one of the absolute best units in Utah, or go for a very good unit you have more than enough points for the early rifle or Muzzy max point tag. I’m not going to just into anything blind, I will scout for a year or two or even spike hunt before I let loose of these points.

I definitely shied away from archery all these years because of the early dates but the lure of being in one of the premier units is intriguing to me.

If anyone has some insight I’d love to talk specifics via PM. I scouted another unit with a decent reputation that I could draw the max point early rifle or muzzleloader tag last year the last week of September and was not overwhelmed to use my lifetime of points there.

Last edited:

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I have personally had both an archery and early rifle tag in the same unit. Both offer awesome experiences.

What is more important...a greater chance to harvest a bull or hunting a unit few will ever get to?

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Definitely a good dilemma to have. I’ve always hunted mid and low tier units all over the west and that has been, the vast majority, positive experiences.

muddydogs

WKR
If you want to hunt bugling bulls the early rifle or muzzy season is best, Archery season is usually to early and the heat makes it harder.

3 years ago I dumb luck drew the early rifle in the Books with 9 points, by the hunt the day time temps had cooled into the mid 70's and the bulls were talking mornings and evenings. Reports from the archery crowd were they hardly heard a bugle during there season which saw temps in the 90's. At 1 am when we got my bull packed out and back to the camper it was 71 degrees, good thing I had my chest freezer set up to get the meat cooled.