Utah Elk Hunt

Hey guys so I drew the Utah archery elk wasatch tag. I drew it last year but I turned it in because I broke my ankle. This will be my 6th season bowhunting. I have not had any success yet. Missed a few mule deer but never shot at an elk. Last year I spent one weekend hunting only elk the first week of September and didn’t even lay eyes on one. So this season will be my first limited entry tag and also spending the entire regular season hunting elk. Utah starts earlier than most states. Opening day is August 17th and the hunt ends on September 13th. I have listened to podcasts and talked to guys about different strategies. I plan to set out about 5 trail cameras in different areas and also scout as much as possible glassing. I will see which area has the most elk and spend the first few weeks of the hunt sitting on water or a wallow. Maybe a tree stand? I’ve never hunted out of one but I know a lot of early season guys use them. I listened to the Born and Raised guys say the earliest they have called in a bull was like August 27th so I will definitely utilize calling the second half of the hunt. The last full week should be the best rut action so I’m hoping to hunt as many of those days as I can. Do you guys have any advice or tips for this type of elk hunt? I’m young and in pretty good shape. I also have a wife and 3 kids so I will have to pick my hunting times carefully. I’m a rookie elk hunter but hoping to soak up as much help and knowledge as I can before season! Let me know if I need to provide further information. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where do you live? I'd take a trip early like opening week bulls don't typically respond but will come in silent to check out calls. Stands over wallows work very well too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Big unit, lots of elk......decide what you like to terrain wise and then put a few days learning it.

good luck

OP
cody21peterson
Where do you live? I'd take a trip early like opening week bulls don't typically respond but will come in silent to check out calls. Stands over wallows work very well too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I live in South Jordan. only a short drive away from AF canyon which is where I hunted a lot last year. I’ve heard strawberry is also a great spot for elk. I plan to use a hammock/tarp setup for the first few weeks and then maybe truck camp.

OP
cody21peterson
Big unit, lots of elk......decide what you like to terrain wise and then put a few days learning it.

good luck

Thank you. I also have a wasatch west deer tag so if I’m hunting the western part of the unit I can shoot both species. However I’m not too concerned with deer at this point. 100% elk.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Lots of the biggest bulls killed on LE archery hunts in Utah come over water early in the season, can't stress that enough.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
cody21peterson
Lots of the biggest bulls killed on LE archery hunts in Utah come over water early in the season, can't stress that enough.

How many days do you think it’s worth sitting in one spot? If I’m not seeing any bulls after 1 or 2 full days should I pack up and move? Or is it just luck, right place right time?

Buschy

FNG
I will bee watching this thread as I have points and am interested in archery hunting the Wasatch. Good luck!

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I had this tag in 2012. Those early hot days can burn you out. I ended up tagging my first elk with a few days left in the season. Buddy called one in for me. Keep in mind that last week when the hunting is best, you’ll see all the early rifle hunters come in with their crews to scout. They really messed up some setups. So don’t count on that last week even though they’ll be the most vocal at that time. Good luck!

OP
cody21peterson
I had this tag in 2012. Those early hot days can burn you out. I ended up tagging my first elk with a few days left in the season. Buddy called one in for me. Keep in mind that last week when the hunting is best, you’ll see all the early rifle hunters come in with their crews to scout. They really messed up some setups. So don’t count on that last week even though they’ll be the most vocal at that time. Good luck!

Thank you that’s great advice. If I tag out this will also be my first elk with a bow. I have 1 trail camera out right now. I plan to get 4 more hung in the next few weeks and then check them all right before the opener. If there is a nice bull on one of the cameras I will probably hunt that spot for the first few weeks.

Find water and sit on it for the first 3 weeks. After that hopefully they will start talking and you can locate that way.

OP
cody21peterson
I will bee watching this thread as I have points and am interested in archery hunting the Wasatch. Good luck!

Thanks! I will try to update as much as possible. I hope it’s a good year with all the early rain.

OP
cody21peterson
983e30badd523ea88927fdd577b62a38.jpg

Scouted a new area this morning and found a herd of about 60 elk at a pond. All cows and calves and just a few spikes. I put up a trail cam but I heard on a podcast that the bulls won’t be around the cows until the rut. Also I heard spring was late so the rut may be pushed back a little bit. What do you guys think based on your experiences?

sneaky

"DADDY"
The elk will breed when it's time to breed. It's a pretty narrow window every year as to when it needs to happen. I wouldn't count on it being pushed back.

AC300win

FNG
Water holes and wallows located in areas where these features are not abundant are typically the most consistent spots to take up stands and still hunt around. Not knowing how well you know the unit, nailing these types of areas down can take some time (in some cases years). I love to hunt wallows in the evenings from a treestand after a run and gun, cover the ground morning. Our most productive wallows are those that persist in the driest of summers, typically have ample bull rubs in the vicinity, are generally not far from bedding areas (black timber) and are huntable from the standpoint of stable winds (at least occasionally). You can find really good wallows that wont hunt because of the wind, even from a treestand. Good luck, you are headed for an awesome archery hunt..

OP
cody21peterson
Thank you I’m pretty excited! I did see a lot of water in some areas. I know a tree stand won’t be as effective but do you think it’s still worth trying for the first couple weeks? I’ve never hunted in a tree stand before so I don’t really know what tree to pick and how to enter/exit

AC300win

FNG
Thank you I’m pretty excited! I did see a lot of water in some areas. I know a tree stand won’t be as effective but do you think it’s still worth trying for the first couple weeks? I’ve never hunted in a tree stand before so I don’t really know what tree to pick and how to enter/exit

Absolutely, assuming you turn up some intel on an activel water hole/wallow, trail, saddle etc. Otherwise, your time might be best spent Glassing and finding elk. No way would I invest in a treestand commitment without some info on a bull I would want to kill.

OP
cody21peterson
295484b98ddd1799096e8d2bd5177ddf.jpg

Went scouting last night and found a nice buck. This makes things a little interesting. I have a deer tag for this area also. Would you guys try to keep tabs on this buck or go after elk 100%? I do have the extended archery season that allows me to kill a deer in a different area until November 30th.

OP
cody21peterson
So I plan to check 5 cameras this weekend. I have a pretty good idea of where I want to hunt opening weekend but if there happens to be a nice bull on one of the cameras would you hunt that spot first? Also when placing a tree stand on a water hole, what should I look for as far as tree and elevation?

sneaky

"DADDY"
295484b98ddd1799096e8d2bd5177ddf.jpg

Went scouting last night and found a nice buck. This makes things a little interesting. I have a deer tag for this area also. Would you guys try to keep tabs on this buck or go after elk 100%? I do have the extended archery season that allows me to kill a deer in a different area until November 30th.

Same areas you can hunt extended for deer are also extended for elk, just a thought. Treestands you pay attention to the thermals. You don't have to get crazy high in a tree either because deer and elk out west aren't conditioned to being hunted from trees like whitetails are back east.