Utah Elk Hunt

OP
cody21peterson
Update:
Didn’t kill one. Never got a shot opportunity. Saw 5 bulls the last weekend. My buddy killed a nice one by strawberry and I tried to hunt in the same area but I think after he killed the elk moved out. They weren’t talking hardly at all until almost dark. Wednesday we got snow at 9600+ feet and temps were in the 30s. I thought the elk would be way fired up but not where I was. I probably sat water/wallows for about 20 hours during the last week. I regret that. I’m too impatient. But I struggle locating bugles because I’m deaf in one ear. Tough hunt. Either way it was fun being in the mountains for a week. Hopefully I learned some lessons that will make me a better hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry you didn't get one. I'll be out there in a couple weeks falling around myself for the anybull rifle hunt. I didn't get one last year but saw plenty and should have got one. I feel better prepared this time out in most ways and I know the area a bit better and I have a great partner this year to hunt with so Maybe?

OP
cody21peterson
Sorry you didn't get one. I'll be out there in a couple weeks falling around myself for the anybull rifle hunt. I didn't get one last year but saw plenty and should have got one. I feel better prepared this time out in most ways and I know the area a bit better and I have a great partner this year to hunt with so Maybe?

I would really recommend going with a partner especially if you’re a rookie or going for multiple days.

Bummer you didn't get one but sounds like you put in a ton of work and be able to apply what you learned to future hunts.
I couldn't find any bugles on the general season units so definitely a tough year for calling.

Bummer you didn't get one but sounds like you put in a ton of work and be able to apply what you learned to future hunts.
I couldn't find any bugles on the general season units so definitely a tough year for calling.

Mtnrunner,

Bad thing about the Archery General Season in UT if I understand correctly it ends Sept 15? If so it doesn't extend into the peak of the rut like some states. In the General Season "Any Weapon" unit where I hunted last year they were quite active about bugling, Especially in the Evenings up to several days after the season started.

They were bugling this weeked quite a bit in Cataloochee in NC. Tried to post a quicktime movie of one bugling at Cataloochee but wasn't able to.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Mtnrunner,

Bad thing about the Archery General Season in UT if I understand correctly it ends Sept 15? If so it doesn't extend into the peak of the rut like some states. In the General Season "Any Weapon" unit where I hunted last year they were quite active about bugling, Especially in the Evenings up to several days after the season started.

They were bugling this weeked quite a bit in Cataloochee in NC. Tried to post a quicktime movie of one bugling at Cataloochee but wasn't able to.
General archery elk ended on the 13th, but extended archery units for elk go until Dec 15th. Utah elk seasons are set up for LE tag holders with rifles to be able to hunt the peak of the rut in September. Everything else goes off of that timeline.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
cody21peterson
It was a fun hunt but next year I might try going out of state OTC since I can’t apply in Utah for 5 years

sneaky

"DADDY"
It was a fun hunt but next year I might try going out of state OTC since I can’t apply in Utah for 5 years

You can still hunt the extended archery areas with the tag you have now. No need to throw in the towel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
cody21peterson
I will definitely hunt the extended. Gotta keep trying to get this monkey off my back!

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
Are you still going out??? Elk until December 15th!! The little bucks are trying to rut down lower. We have until the end of the month gentlemen to stick a deer. The time is now! Been seeing somewhat recent elk crap. Might get lucky! Dont give up! Overnight trips are DEFINITELY still possible. Gitterdun!!

OP
cody21peterson
Unfortunately I had brain surgery the first week of November so my season was cut a little short. Had a tumor the size of a baseball but they removed it successfully! I hope I can recover in time to hunt next year. Lucky and thankful to be alive

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, I just found this again. I dont know you but am so so happy you are okay after the surgery!

It's a new year and a new decade! Second year hunting and after harvesting a mule deer last year its 110% elk this year!

Let's start this decade off right and get it done!!!

OP
cody21peterson
Dang, I just found this again. I dont know you but am so so happy you are okay after the surgery!

It's a new year and a new decade! Second year hunting and after harvesting a mule deer last year its 110% elk this year!

Let's start this decade off right and get it done!!!

Thanks man good luck this year!